Bouncing In The Rear----help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bouncing In The Rear----help!

I had MAAS 54's and Hankook 285/50/20 bolted on my '07 Scab a few days ago. I know the ride will be a little rougher compared to the stock 255/65/17, this isn't my first set of low pro's. So....while crusing down the road everthing is fine until I hit approx 53MPH, then the backend starts bouncing and continues to do so until I reach approx 58MPH. I'm not talking about a slight vibration, I'm talking a bounce that shakes the whole truck....you can see the bed bounce through the side mirrors. I take it back to the Wheel Shop in Clarksville, TN and complain. They rebalance the tires, state they were off a little and that it should be fine now. So I jump in and head for home only to find it didn't fix the problem. I would've turned around right then but I had to take my son to the Fall Festival and time was of the essence. ANY IDEAS????? I've got a McGaughy's 2/4 drop with helper bags but as stated earlier, it didn't do it with the stock wheels/tires so I'm thinking I've got a set of bad tires in the rear. Anyone ever experienced this with a new set of tires???? Anyone in the Madisonville, KY area with a 6/135 pattern that would like to try the shoes on and see if the problem persists??

Last edited by Penrod; 09-23-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Could be flat spots in them? are they blems? hell could be a slight bend in one wheel especially when the tire guy puts them on with a airgun

Old 09-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have the tires, all the way around road force balanced. At least one is out of specs. Just had this with a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. One was out of spec. Not only did the rear tire cause vibration, it caused a steering wheel nibble. As soon as the tire was replaced, vibration and nibble was gone.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Ok, school me. What's road force balanced? I'm "***"uming that means balance under load somehow.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
Could be flat spots in them? are they blems? hell could be a slight bend in one wheel especially when the tire guy puts them on with a airgun
No visual flat spots, dealer says they're not blems, wheels appear perfect.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Penrod
Ok, school me. What's road force balanced? I'm "***"uming that means balance under load somehow.
There is a type of balancing machine made by Hunter that will do normal balancing or road force balancing. Basically with the road force balancing, there is an arm with a roller that makes contact with the tire tread while balancing that will show whether the tire is at all out of round or other problems. A normal balance will not catch this kind of problem.

http://www.weightsaver.com/smartweig...ghtsaver02.htm

Old 09-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks Kingfish, I'm going back to the dealer Monday morning.

Quick Reply: Bouncing In The Rear----help!