have gray tires, want black

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have gray tires, want black

Just bought some Kuhmo Road Venture AT tires. I love them, but they are gray in color. Eagle One tire black will make the black for a day, but they seem to dry back to gray. Local detail shop guy says he has seen the same on several tires, but does not know any fix. Anyone run into this?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive heard motor oil does the trick. Just rub it in.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:31 PM

I'd look into returning them or asking for a different tire.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Try scrubbing them with a stiff nylon brush and Coke. Yes Coke. It helps to remove the mold release that may be causing the discoloration.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Black for tires

I e-mailed the mfg (Kumho) about what tire black to use, they said none. Those products (they said) were not good for the tire and suggested using shoe polish. I cleaned the side of one lug and put some on. Will watch it for a few and post the results.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Shoe Black

Well the shoe polish worked about like Eagle One, dark for a bit then gray again does anyone have any suggestions? ...please... I love the way the ride and handle, they just look like your spare tire after it has been up for a year or two.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 PM
JDB
I bought a truck from someone that took the original wheels of in 2004 the day he got the truck and put on after market wheels. I got the truck from him in 2007 and he sold the wheels separate so he installed the OEM wheels that had been stacked in his shop for 3 years. Anyways the tires were all grayish looking with rings on the 3 stacked on the bottom. They didn't look good no matter how much I cleaned them. One day while I was at the car wash I bought a couple packets of an armor-all product that was in these little packets. I believe they were really thin sponges with a silicone product on them just for tires. This stuff soaked into the tire quickly and turned them jet black. After about 4 weeks and another wash they started to lighten up a little. I then retreated with the same product and this time it took less. The first time was a packet per tire. The second time just took two. I have recently sold the wheels but after the second application they never turned gray again. Just went to a nice flat dark black. Next time I'm at the car wash I can find out the exact name of the product. I imagine they sell it in a bottle of some sort.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:25 AM
Grey tires

I recently saw a detailer about an issue like this, my tires were died a blue -gray for constantly being exposed to the clay ground up north

He recommended that he do an acid bath on the tires, when i got my truck back they looked like the day I bought them, they have stayed that way since

Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by brianscott
I recently saw a detailer about an issue like this, my tires were died a blue -gray for constantly being exposed to the clay ground up north

He recommended that he do an acid bath on the tires, when i got my truck back they looked like the day I bought them, they have stayed that way since
Acid?

Gulp.....

Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Try some original Go-Jo, not the one with the grit. Brush it on good and wipe off, you may have to do it 3 or 4 times. Way before Armor-all this is what we cleaned our tires with!!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
JDB
How bout some GOOD Ole fashioned silicone based PERSONAL LUBRICANT!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by JDB
How bout some GOOD Ole fashioned silicone based PERSONAL LUBRICANT!
At this point, I am open to trying anything on them that will not harm them. Have you had any luck with this product on you tires?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM

I still say return them for another set or go with another tire.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
JDB
Originally Posted by dburgjohn
At this point, I am open to trying anything on them that will not harm them. Have you had any luck with this product on you tires?
Well not on my tires, but I have had good luck with it_______________ah_____________

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Found it!

I found something that works. Over a week on the tires and two rain storms and they still look good. The product is a tire black called 'Black Magic'. This one works.

Quick Reply: have gray tires, want black