Squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky brakes

Well since owning this truck i have had to put 2 sets of new pads on and new rotor the second time. Im not sure if its the pads or just really bad squeaking, cause almost everytime that i brake it sounds ohrrible. Would adding brake sqeak fluid stuff help with it or am i probably going to need new brakes??? And how hard would it be to just take off the brake pads and put that lubricant stuff on it? I found this on another site http://www.rmftc.com/howtos/brakes/brakes.html Is this pretty straightforward??

Thx Ahead!!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Yup. It's that easy. The brake squeal stuff won't work for very long, but it can be applied without removing the brakes if you want to try it.
Your pads may be glazed some, and sand paper can fix this. Or the squeal may work it's self out on it's own. Or you could try a different/better semi metallic pad.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:56 AM
If you're brakes "squeel" like pigs constantly, most likely it's the pads. If it's a lighter, squeek, and not consistant, then I'd say it's the backs of the pads not having antiseize on them or whatever. I'd put antiseize on the pad backs and the end points where they ride in the caliper bracket. Wherever there is contact points from the caliper, the spring clips, the caliper bracket pad sliders, wherever the pad contacts something other than the rotor, apply antiseize. Be sure this stuff stays away from the rotor and pad friction surfaces, caliper bracket sliders case in point. Just paint it on a bit, don't glob it. If this fails to solve it, check the rears and do the same to them. If nothing changes, it's the pads and start from scratch. Again, get a quality semi-metallic pad and have the rotors resurfaced (if they are good) or replace, sometimes it's cheap enough just to get new rotors anyways.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Okay thanks guys! I will get try to go sometime this weekend or next to get it. I know for a fact that it is the front brakes that make the noise and it seems to me its ALWAYS the left front. Is this normal that it happens to be LF everytime?

This may be stupid but i won't have to pump the brake fluid or do anything else correect? Just take off the pads and put anti-seizure stuff on them

I know this has been mentioned whats a good semi-metallic brake pad thats really cheap! Don't got much money to spend right now

Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 PM
When you put you're calipers back on, use a piece of wood and a c-clamp to move the piston back a bit so the caliper can easily slide onto the pads again. C-clamp slowly a few turns so fluid doesn't come out the resevoir. After they are re-assembled, pump the brakes a few times before putting in gear. Nothing more has to be done. Carquest "blue" semi-metallic pads go for under 50 bucks in the USA, but they will give you 3-4 options on pads. Ceramics cost twice that and economy pads might be 10 bucks less, so 40-ish bucks. Not sure exactly the prices, but nowhere's in the 100 buck range are semi-metallics. Whatever you do, don't get ceramic pads, get whatever you can afford in semi-metallics from whatever brand, Raybestos (Carquest's pad supplier) Wagner, Bendix to name a few.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Okay thanks so much for the reply!! I will start looking. Is it better to buy the brake pads online, or go to a shop such as O'reilly or napa to get them?

Old 10-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Just go local, chances are they have them right there and they cost about if not the same. E-commerce is great...... for some stuff, but not for this kinda crap that is a 5 minute drive away for many. It just saves time and keeps local people working is my thaughts. Try the anti-seize first and if no good, then try new pads. I'll bet the anti-seize stops it thaugh, you'd be surprised how much difference forgetting one spot does, trust me.

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes