Hey fellas, I swear I've been TRYING...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey fellas, I swear I've been TRYING...

...to figure out what tires to get, but please show mercy on me for asking such a simple question - there's a ton of info here and I have searched, but I'm more confused now than when I started looking (i.e. I'm old, tired, and finding that tire sizes aren't the same or something, I don't know it just seems so much harder than it used to be)

My poor husband-person is working 7-12's and dead on his feet, so he agreed that I can get new tires now

I've got an 04 supercrew lariat aspen green, and at 23k miles the tread on the stock tires is wearing horribly. I'm aware of the recall and replacement crap w/these - and I've had them balanced including road-force like 9 times, with no luck. Our local ford (ex) dealer still wouldn't replace or do anything about it. whatever.

Stock wheels & tires, my daily drive consists of hwy pavement and dirt/gravel roads.

Can someone please please please look at Discount Tires and maybe Ebay & tell me the largest tires I can fit on my stock wheels, without doing anything else to my truck? Does "larger" = "taller"?

I just want a little taller, if someone could kindly tell me if it's possible to put a "taller/bigger" tire on my stock rims, and which ones Discount is showing, or ebay, that will fit.

If I want a little "taller" tire, would I have to get larger wheels, too? I will be happy to get new wheels (if I have to, of course )
Could someone please tell me which wheel/tires that are a little bigger will fit on my truck without doing anything else to it?

I would so appreciate any advice you can give me, thank you!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a 4x4 or 4x2? If you have a 4x2, I'd suggest a set of 265/70-17 tires.
If you have a 4x4, I'd suggest a 285/70-17, 295/70-17 or a 305/65-17.
As far as brands, I'd suggest looking at the BFG AT KO's, Nitto Terra Grapplers and Toyo Open Country AT tires.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:11 PM
dangit sorry, 4x2...I know how much that pi**es you guys off when someone forgets that kinda stuff :o

Old 10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
No problem. If you really want more of an offroad look you could install a 2 or 2.5 inch Autospring leveling kit and run one of the sizes I suggested for a 4x4.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 PM
hey wandell, thanks for the reply. 4x2 and got the stock 265/60-18's...stock wheels, too.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:38 PM
oh man, wish I did but I just don't have any way to do the whole leveling kit thing...I just always thought that the stock tires/wheels looked a little wimpy under that big ol' hunka love...I thought even a tire with a little more *oomph* would look sooooo much better.

So will *anything* bigger (taller?) require something else done to it as well?

Does that include a new wheel/tire combo? Anything up a size will require something else done to my truck?

Old 10-20-2007, 10:42 PM
You should be able to fit the 275/65-18's with your current wheels without any problems. I believe this is the OEM size on most 4x4's.

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey thanks, appreciate the info. There are some decent prices at Discounttire.com, and on ebay, and so many to choose from...now I've kind of got a "need" for new wheels, too, although I don't have anything against my stock wheels...

But after looking at some of the new ones, well, I just feel this urge..a need..when does it end?

Old 10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
This site seems to have a way of producing new 'needs'.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:38 PM
...and so it begins...

soooo...can I do it the easy way and just order a wheel/tire package ready to bolt on like from discount, or do I have to do it the hard way and take 3 small, screaming children an hour there, a 6 hour wait, and an hour back...

The only other place I have that's closer is a Modica Bros...like 45 minutes from me, but the last time I was in there, they just didn't have much to chose from.

Good grief I shoulda never come on here lookin' around...dammit.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I would suggest getting prices online and then try to get someone local to match the prices.

Quick Reply: Hey fellas, I swear I've been TRYING...