Rear brakes stutter/shake on downhill braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brakes stutter/shake on downhill braking

hi, I hope someone can maybe help, my 97 F150 4x4 rear brakes were completely replaced, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and bleed. also the front was done also. Anyway when I go down like a 45* hill my rear brakes start to howl and start to feel like they are going to lock up but they stutter like and glitch if you will, before coming to a stop. This only happens at slow speed like in 4 Wheel low heavy on the brakes, creaping. It shakes the whole wheel and like I said makes a slight howl sound before stopping. I tried adjusting the rear in and out to find the sweet spot for not being too lock up happy.The front feel fine, I didn't do the front right away (replacing the brakes) I replaced them slightly after I did the rear. Could I have glazed my rear shoes?, they were doing about 70% of the work for stopping for two weeks, before the front were done. were they mabye adjusted too close against the drums and burned them up?. Any help, advise?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it only happens on steep hills (BTW - 45° hill is a 100% grade... that is extremely steep) then I would guess it is just a traction issue. Driving down the extremely steep hill shifts all your weight to the front wheels. When you brake, there is no weight on the rear and little traction in dirt/gravel (you must be off road in dirt/gravel since no paved roads would be that steep) the rear wheels will lock up and hop/skip (do you have ABS? The ABS could be cycling and causing a "shutter" feel).

I would guess this is what is causing the issue. If it were an issue with the brakes themselves, you would most likely see it on flat ground as well.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes stutter/shake on downhill braking