BFT MT KM2 or BFG TA KO...need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFT MT KM2 or BFG TA KO...need help

Hi everyone this is my first post, but I have been lurking for a while. I need help/input deciding which tire to go with the km2 in 35's or the AT in 34's. My truck is an '05 FX4 with factory 18's. My truck is completely stock right now but I ordered the as 2.5 last week along with the as 3 rear block.

I absolutely love the look of the km2 in 35's but this will be my daily driver and I live in Canada and we have snow and ice...so I called Bf Goodrich the other day and they said I should go with the AT's for snow. This really dissapoints me because I prefer the look of the km2 so I am here to ask the real experts on what I should do..would the km2's be dangerous on snow and ice covered roads? I want to be sure because I have a 9 month old baby.

Thanking everyone in advance for any input/advice you can give me.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For snow and ice, I would definitely take the AT over any MT. MTs are just that, made for mud, not snow. Look at any manufacturers site and you will see the AT are rate far better in snow than MTs an vice versa when talking about mud traction.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Agreed, A/T will generally be better in snow and ice, but I know 2 members off the top of my head that are running the KM 1's and are located in Alaska and don't have any problems with their M/T. Also, depending on the type of snow M/T can be better in some situations. I'm currently stationed in AZ but if I ever move to a snow/ice climate I'm not changing my tires as I feel my M/T would would perform fine. Being a safe and cautious driver is worth more then the tires your running. I say get whichever one you want more and be safe during those crappy winters Canada can have. By the way I'm orginally from eastern Washington so I know how crappy driving conditions can get in the winter. Goodluck with your chioce

Old 11-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Well we don't have much snow and ice in the Cajun Country but if I had to pick tires for a daily driver up in Nova Scotia I would run the 285 or 305x18 AT's, but if it's look's you want it's hard to beat the new MT'S. Remember the larger and heavier the tire the harder it is to stop your vehicle, just slow down in bad conditions!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Also, little weight comparison the 305/65 18 BFG A/T weighs in at 65 lbs and the 35x12.5 18 BFG KM 2 weighs 67 per tire rack's info.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i would go with the A/T's. i live in wisconsin and have had both. i've had the muds on my last ranger, needless to say that wasnt a good idea. it was a slushy day and my tires hydroplaned and up and over 5 times, totaling my ranger (offroad flareside cranked bars, add a leaf 33x12.50 with the monster 3.0) . i wasnt going real fast either 45mph, but there just aint enough contact to the road with the m/t's. now offroad the muds pulled like a mother, but the i dont offroad enough in the winter to justify buying the muds again and maybe rolling it.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:32 PM
what type of mud tires did you have

Old 11-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Also the BFG AT's are rated for severe snow service according to tire rack.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a set of All-Terrain T/A KO's on my 4x4 Ranger, and would not hesitate to put them on the F150. In fact, I sometimes wish the Wranglers that are on there now weren't basically new, so I could justify replacement!

The AT's worked GREAT in the snow, and were decent other times of the year, as well. Fairly quiet, wore great, and rode fine, too. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get them.

Andy

Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have had both. For winters in NS I would get the AT's. You also get freezing rain and the MTs suck on ice. There is no siping like there is on the AT. I have 2 sets of rims and one set will have a set of ATs. If you can spare the cash get a set of steel wheels go to Canadian tire and install some Roughriders. They are an excellent winter tire.

JMC

Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
I have had both. For winters in NS I would get the AT's. You also get freezing rain and the MTs suck on ice. There is no siping like there is on the AT. I have 2 sets of rims and one set will have a set of ATs. If you can spare the cash get a set of steel wheels go to Canadian tire and install some Roughriders. They are an excellent winter tire.

JMC
There it is right there. Siping makes all the difference in wet, slushy, icy conditions. Many M/T's have little to none. I had a set of 31x10.5" M/T's and they sucked during the winter. However, it's nothing common sense and cautious driving can't overcome.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:01 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a set or worn out MTs and they suck in the rain let alone ice....

JMC

Quick Reply: BFT MT KM2 or BFG TA KO...need help