parking brake stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parking brake stuck

My parking brake line seems to have broken. I released the brake fine this morning and then came back and put on the brake. When I went back out to the truck, the release handle was loose...like it wasn't connected anymore and the parking brake will not release. How do I release this to get it to a repair shop....the truck will not move right now. If I can release it some other way or hook it back up, I can take it somewhere. What is wrong and anyone know how much is this going to cost me?

Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
With the release handle being loose, it sounds like something in the e-brake pedal itself has failed - not so much a cable problem.

Suggest to get a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and find where the release handle ties in to the pedal. Look for a way to duplicate the release lever action with the screwdriver / pliers.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
well, there is a wire that goes back from the release lever and if I pull it, it comes toward me, so seems like it has disconnected. The brake is on...not like some of the other posts where the parking brake just falls to the floor. I know nothing about cars (obviously) so do I need to get under the truck to find this? Is it in front? back? in the dashboard? under the hood? I looked in the manual, but it doesn't tell me anything except where the brake fluid is.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Suggest to first look up under the dash at the parking brake assembly.

If when you pull and hold the release lever, can you move the pedal towards its released position?

If you can, suggest that you have a frozen / binding cable, or something hanging up at the rear brakes. Unless you're mechanically inclined, probably best to have the truck towed so as not to do any more damage than necessary. I suppose you could cut the cables near the rear, but again, you may damage something that is otherwise OK - such as, if the problem is in the brakes themselves, you're buying new cables for nothing.

If you can't move the e-brake pedal forward, that suggests that the release mechanism isn't working. This is what I envisioned in my earlier post, where you have to figure out what the release lever actually releases, then duplicate that with the tools. Be careful, if you do successfully trigger the release, the pedal will snap back as normal.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
ok, I'm having my son come by after work and we will see if we can figure this out. I did notice the brakes seemed strange this weekend and I was doing a lot of stop and go driving. They seemed squishy...does that make sense? I didn't really hear anything other than one time it sounded like the tires were grabbing the asphalt, but it was more of a feeling than an acutal noise. If there is a problem with the rear brakes, would this cause the parking brake release not to work? It made the same snapping noise when you release and it works, but the parking brake did not come back up. Any idea how much this type of repair should run if I take it in....I don't want to hear some outrageous amount and think it is ok if it isn't and I don't want to tow it all over the place. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Ah, more of the story :-)

I suggest that if your brakes felt different - get them checked out. Brake and steering issues are two things I don't put off - figuring that as long as one can steer and stop, not a whole lot of trouble left to get into.

This extra info broadens the scope of possible culprits. It could be possible, if the stars are aligned right, that a problem with the brakes could be hanging up the e-brake release, or a problem with the e-brake is causing the change in brake operation, etc.

Costs are going to vary widely, depending on what needs to be done. One of your better bets is to find a garage that you trust - one that others have recommended - and develop a relationship with them. You may not like what they charge, but at least you should have the confidence that it's a fair price and the work is done right. They need to make a living, too - and you can't compare their costs to a buddy that comes over to help out for a few beers.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Yes, there is always more -- it didn't seem connected to me, but then when I thought about it, I don't know anything about cars, so better to share unknown info than not at all. Anyway, I will call around and get some idea how much this could cost me and then just tow it. A friend who works on cars suggested trying to jiggle the line with a broom handle underneath the
truck and see if it releases...if I can find it, I will try that. He also suggested putting the truck in reverse and see if it pops loose -- it didn't and it didn't occur to me until I was doing it that I wasn't going to be able to put the car back! LOL! Fortunately, I had some room and it will be fine where it is for now. I understand a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold so I'm not begrudging him a living - I just want to get a general idea of what the cost might be so I don't have a coronary when I hear the words!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I would check to see if the cable is still attached to the hook that comes out of both rear tires. I had one pop off because the metal hook that the cable attaches to rusted in place to another metal piece inside the drum. The cable should pull the hook toward the front of the vehicle when you push the pedal down. When you release the pedal, the spring on the end of the cable pushes the hook towards the rear of the vehicle releasing the brake. If the hook mechanism doesn't move, the cable usually slides off.

I'm not a mechanic, but the people on this site are extremely helpful. If you have the right tools and some time, its not really hard to fix.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 PM
OMG, thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it -- car problems are at the top of my list for stressors. Any other time it wouldn't be an issue, but I am using my truck for work 7 days a week right now and I can't do my job without it...self-employed and all. Anyway, I do have Premier AAA and they came out to tow and the guy found a lever underneath (right behind the other lever) that released the parking brake so I can drive. God bless AAA! It didn't even require any tools and he could see where the cable broke. I am taking it to a shop down the street for an estimate on repairing the cable and whatever caused the problem. AND, I'm putting a big piece of red tape over the brake so I don't accidently put it on. Anyway, for anyone else out there with a stuck parking brake -- crawl under the steering wheel and look behind the e-brake lever and you will see a button that will release the brake. It may save you a world of stress and frustration!!! At the very least it will get you on your way........thanks again everyone for your excellent advice!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Glad to help out, and happy to hear it was a simple fix. And thanks for the follow-up post - always good to hear what the solution was, to file in the mental RoloDex for future reference.

Maybe consider e-mailing AAA a note about the helpfulness of the tow truck guy - his knowledge certainly would seem to be 'value-added' above their guaranteed services.

Since I'm one of the first to complain about under-performing services, I figure it's a proper balance to complement those services above my expectations.

Be sure to investigate further if your brakes are still 'strange and squishy'.

Quick Reply: parking brake stuck