stock wheels made of gold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock wheels made of gold?

I have been wanting to get a stock set of FX4 wheels for my 04F150. I have even placed a wanted add on the site and gotten three or four offers. Here is what really gets me going. Guys are wanting way to much for these wheels. Yeah, if I had to buy them from ford it would be expensive for me but not really because the wife's uncle own's the biggest body shop in this part of Indiana and I get all my parts at cost. So why so much? Why does everyone want so much money for these wheels. I had a guy offer me his for $750!!!!!!!!!! I can buy the aftermarket rims that I REALLY want with that kind of money. I sold a set of stockers off my 97 w/ wheels for $150. What ever happened to making a good deal for the next guy? I just think it is ridiculous anymore that you can't get a deal on ANYTHING!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by blackflareside
I have been wanting to get a stock set of FX4 wheels for my 04F150. I have even placed a wanted add on the site and gotten three or four offers. Here is what really gets me going. Guys are wanting way to much for these wheels. Yeah, if I had to buy them from ford it would be expensive for me but not really because the wife's uncle own's the biggest body shop in this part of Indiana and I get all my parts at cost. So why so much? Why does everyone want so much money for these wheels. I had a guy offer me his for $750!!!!!!!!!! I can buy the aftermarket rims that I REALLY want with that kind of money. I sold a set of stockers off my 97 w/ wheels for $150. What ever happened to making a good deal for the next guy? I just think it is ridiculous anymore that you can't get a deal on ANYTHING!
Back on my '99, I was prowling around for a set of stock 16" painted rims... all I kept finding were offers for $500 and upward of $1000 for POS 16" F150 painted rims (the same ones base model trucks used).

Until, I finally found someone who sold me a set of 4 for $250... but it took forever!

I know what you mean... buying cheap stock rims are more expensive than one might think.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Look on Ebay there are lots of deals. I just bought 4 18" rims and like new tires all OEM for $480.00 plus shipping for new new F 150 crew.

Great deal.

This is the second time I have done this. I like to have a 2nd set for the winter because up in Man. Canada the winter beats the crap out of the rims.

:santa:

Old 11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I just went through this

I just went through this same situation for my '05 SCREW. I found out the local Ford dealers will sell their 'take-offs' pretty cheap. I was looking for wheels at a used tire shop when someone from one of the area dealers drove up and unloaded several sets of tires and two sets of wheels and the owner of the shop paid him in cash. Then 20 minutes later a guy from another dealership pulls up and does the same thing. I asked him and he said they really can't get much for the wheels and tires they take off customers' trucks when they are upgrading to aftermarket wheels/tires - so they just sell them to this guy. He said they only get $125 - $150 for a set of tires that might only have 30 miles on them from test drives. I bought a set of OEM Lariat 18" rims with nearly new tires for $500 all in. Now I have the new tires I need and a spare set of rims that I plan to put off-road rubber on for hunting season.

I suggest you call or stop by the dealership and ask what they do with the take-offs. You might want to talk to the mechanic - not the service writers or managers.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Couldn't agree more

I've been looking for the same type of deal as you. Everything on ebay is way too high. I notice that nobody every bids on the overpriced wheels so why bother.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I usually see some very good deals on stockers on sale in the classified for this fourm

Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Graphics Contributor
you could find stock 20s with stock pirelli tires with low miles around 1000. Almost got a set for 700 but the guy stopped replyin to my emails..

Old 11-19-2007, 11:43 PM
I got my OEM 20's off of craigslist for $300. I saw a set of OEM 20's w/tires for $450. Good deals can be found. You just need to have the cash ready and be quick.

example of what I just found on CL

FX4 18's $300
http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/458768732.html

OEM 20's $350
http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/457513968.html

18" Lariat wheels $300
http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/477574584.html

new FX4 18" wheels on Ebay for $289 a set
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-New...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Sleestak; 11-19-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 AM
The secret to getting a good deal is you don't advertise first, you let them. Granted it can take awhile but you put yourself in a better position that way. I got a Westin grille guard for $60 that just need a little touch up just because they were tired of housing it, I lurked for a year and half for it and it was the first one I found.

When you advertise first the potential seller knows they have someone that wants it pretty bad, so they are going to start with a higher price and won't be as willing to come down. But if you let it sit in their garage for a while and let them trip on it a couple times, then don't act like you are in too big of a hurry once you get there (don't fart around too much and get them mad, just act like you are debating in your head for a little while) they will be in more of a dealing mood.

That is my take on how to get bargains in the Classifieds.

Last edited by 02XLT4X4; 11-20-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: stock wheels made of gold?