Winter wheel woes--what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter wheel woes--what would you do?

So I bought some 18" AR Crush wheels for my 05 Supercrew that I am currently running with 305/65/18 BFG's. I love them, but from what everyone says it sounds like I shouldn't run the wheels through the Wisconsin winter if I want them to last. I still have the stock tires and wheels (275/65/18). I have a 4" Rancho lift. So here's the question:

Do I pay $100 to take the BFG's off the AR wheels and have them mounted on the stock rims for the winter OR do I fork over the $1200 for a new set of BFG's to put on the stock rims for the winter? Seems like a lot of cash for winter tires, especially since I may only have the truck for 3 or 4 years and probably won't wear through both sets of tires in that time.

I've thought about just putting the stock wheels and tires back on for the winter, but I'm afraid the tires will look a little bit small and goofy with the 4" lift.

I'd appreciate any input on what you guys think would be the best thing to do.

Sean

Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greetings fellow Wisconsinite. i've had the same problems in the past, thats why i wont run chrome rims in the winter, they get thrashed with the winters we got here. i would just throw on the stockers, everyone does it up here anyway. any pics by the way? oh how i hate ole man winter, that bastard

Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Thats the reason I went with black. For the $100 swap tires.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't mind winter too much, but for the $$ you pay for chrome wheels I don't want to ruin them. Bummer is that I love my wheel/tire combo and I'd love to use them year round, but doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Just put the stocks back on if the tires on them are still good. Or pay the 100$. It's better then 1200$ or whatever new rims are. lol

Last edited by Shakez; 11-20-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bowmanmd
I don't mind winter too much, but for the $$ you pay for chrome wheels I don't want to ruin them. Bummer is that I love my wheel/tire combo and I'd love to use them year round, but doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do.
You can alway's head South for the winter! How about some pics of the wheels and tires?

Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 AM
I've thought about just putting the stock wheels and tires back on for the winter, but I'm afraid the tires will look a little bit small and goofy with the 4" lift.
I'd run your stock wheels/tires in the winter, that's what I do and I have the Rancho too. Do you have any pics of your truck? I'd like to see what the 305s look like on it

Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Up here in NH, there are always a good number of people running what look like tiny winter wheels/tires on their lifted trucks. If looks are THAT important to you, then pony up the money, but I say run your stockers and forget about it.

Are these rims that delicate that with frequent washing, you can't maintain a good look for the 3 or 4 years you mentioned keeping your truck for?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't know whether the chrome stands up well for one winter, two winters, or what. All I know is that I don't want to be out there washing and polishing them every week in 10-20 degree weather all winter. I think I am going to put the stock wheels and tires on, drive it around for a few weeks and see what I think. Then if I decide I need to I can have the BFG's put on the stock rims for the winter. The downside to running the stock wheels/tires is that I am waiting for my custom tunes from Troyer and they are going to set up the speedo and stuff for the bigger BFG's, so I'll be back to where I'm at right now--adding or subtracting 3mph to the odometer and wondering how horrible my gas mileage REALLY is. Not a big deal, but still a nuisance I'll just have to live with through the winter.

As for the pics, I would LOVE to post some, but I think I have to wait until I have 50 posts until I can do pics. I'm looking forward to sharing some though because I think the truck turned out really good with the lift and tires.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 PM
The look those big tires have is awesome but for me I've ran both and the stockers always get better traction in winter with a good tire on than the big boys. For me they did alot better for offroading thru those big muck holes. I buy trucks so I can work the fire out of em. Tho that doesnt mean I dont like good looks but I dont need a toy I'd be afraid to play with.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 PM
As for the pics, I would LOVE to post some, but I think I have to wait until I have 50 posts until I can do pics. I'm looking forward to sharing some though because I think the truck turned out really good with the lift and tires.
Cool, you only have 6 more posts to go.....be sure not to forget now, I really want to see that lift/tire combo

Old 11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm working on it. I'll put a few pics on photogallery soon. Unfortunately I'm going to have to use the older pics I have or else get a good wash first because we just got our first snow of the season and the truck (and wheels!) are covered in a nice layer of salt!

Hillbilly--
I'm with you--I buy it to use it (and abuse it a little, too!), but looking good while you do it doesn't hurt either! To tell you the truth, in hindsight I wish I would have just stayed with the stock wheels from the start rather than letting the guy talk me out of putting the BFG's on them and going with the flashier chrome AR wheels. I still love the look of the chrome wheels, but they're a little "high-maintenance" and have a little bit too much of the "bling factor" for my taste. But I have to say, they do look good!

Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 PM
the trick i've used is to spray some wd-40 on the entire rim after a wash, it forms a little protective layer from the elements. they'll get dirty faster(mostly from brake dust, it collects faster on the wd) but it'll wipe right off on your next wash. i usually go 2 to 3 weeks between washes in the winter. that's what ive used against the michigan winters anyways and it seems to work pretty well, no rust in 3 years.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Where in MI are you at BFish?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 PM
whiteford michigan, it is in monroe, just north of toledo

Quick Reply: Winter wheel woes--what would you do?