Those with AM wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grubrunner, what I was saying is a given tire is gonna be almost the same height regardless of the wheels width, but it can be slightly different. For instance a 315/75-16 may measure 35 inches tall on an 8 inch wide wheel. However, it may measure 35 1/16 inches tall on a 7 inch wide wheel or 34 15/16 inches tall on a 10 inch wide wheel because of the sidewall being squeezed or stretched very slightly. Really, not enough difference to worry about.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont want a spare,just get yourself a can of fix a flat, or a small 12v compressor and a nice tire plug kit. takes up much less space, and saves weight for you mpg concious drivers! I don't think ive ever used a spare in the 16+years i've been driving. no worries about what size spare! if you do run a spare, i reccomend it be the same outside diameter as whatever tire you are running now.

Last edited by 2002 wonderboy; 11-23-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Grubrunner, what I was saying is a given tire is gonna be almost the same height regardless of the wheels width, but it can be slightly different. For instance a 315/75-16 may measure 35 inches tall on an 8 inch wide wheel. However, it may measure 35 1/16 inches tall on a 7 inch wide wheel or 34 15/16 inches tall on a 10 inch wide wheel because of the sidewall being squeezed or stretched very slightly. Really, not enough difference to worry about.
Okay, I see the difference you're speaking of, Wandell.

The difference is a bee's diik but a difference nonetheless.... thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
If you dont want a spare,just get yourself a can of fix a flat, or a small 12v compressor and a nice tire plug kit. takes up much less space, and saves weight for you mpg concious drivers! I don't think ive ever used a spare in the 16+years i've been driving. no worries about what size spare! if you do run a spare, i reccomend it be the same outside diameter as whatever tire you are running now.
I've been told the Fix-a-flat is useless on mud terrains.

Anyone else here this?

As for the "tire plug kit" I'd never heard of a DIY...

Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
As for the "tire plug kit" I'd never heard of a DIY...
I'm keeping my spare, just in case...you never know.

Though, I've had very good luck with the DIY tire plug kits that you can pick up at any auto parts store. The plugs are about 4" long, rubbery cord type stuff that is VERY sticky. The kits come with two tools, one to ream out the hole in the tire, another to insert the plug, and some rubber cement. I've plugged several tires with these, both with and without the cement (in a pinch) and never had any trouble with leaks.

I always keep these and a small compressor in my truck. I shouldn't need my spare unless there's sidewall damage, tread separation, or other major tire failure.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Stephen S
I'm keeping my spare, just in case...you never know.

Though, I've had very good luck with the DIY tire plug kits that you can pick up at any auto parts store. The plugs are about 4" long, rubbery cord type stuff that is VERY sticky. The kits come with two tools, one to ream out the hole in the tire, another to insert the plug, and some rubber cement. I've plugged several tires with these, both with and without the cement (in a pinch) and never had any trouble with leaks.

I always keep these and a small compressor in my truck. I shouldn't need my spare unless there's sidewall damage, tread separation, or other major tire failure.
That's great info, Stephen.

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ALso, the chemicals in Fix-A-Flat will corrode chrome wheels. A member at FTW had a wheel destoyed by Fix-A-Flat. He noticed his chrome peeling and when he had it replaced, the chrome inside the wheel had almost completley peeled off.

Quick Reply: Those with AM wheels...