Frozen Slider Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frozen Slider Bolts

I am doing a brake job on my 03 F150 and all is going well . But when I inspected the slider bolts the top slider bolt was working fine but the bottom one is frozen in place. I have been trying to move it by puting oil inside the small dust boot and hitting it with a dead blow hammer for about a half hour with no luck. So..If I cant get it to move is it safe to put a little heat to it or should I just keep oiling and tapping it with the hammer?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
By slider bolts, you mean caliper bracket bolts, the larger 5/8" or so bolts? I would if you can use a air impact gun and/or a breaker bar, they should at leasy budge with either of those. There is factory and should be when re-assembling some blue threadlock Loctite on the threads but should still come off. Heat? I don't know if I'd use the bolts again then.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:16 PM
No ..I am talking about the slider bolts that are used for adjusting the brakes in and out when the brakes are wearing. The calipers slide on these. Not the large 18mm bolts.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Did it turn enough to remove the caliper? If so, I would spray some more juice in the boot then press the end of the bolt against something while turning it (block of wood would be good). Preferably with an impact. Keeping pressure on it while turning should help it back out.
If you mean it won't even turn to remove the caliper then yeah, I would use a little heat instead of taking a chance of breaking it off in the spider or caliper holder.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 PM
he is talking about the caliper pins on the mounting bracket. you can try and heat the braket around the pin but sometimes the only way is to get a new braket and pins.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks Adam ..I heated the bracket and gave it a good pop with a hammer and it moved ,so i oiled the h@ll out of it and got it out. Had to buy new pins but now every thing new.

Quick Reply: Frozen Slider Bolts