OEM Goodyears Flatspotting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Goodyears Flatspotting?

Hi guys I have an 05 supercrew 4x4 that still has the factory oem Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires. Every morning when I first drive the truck it vibrates almost like a tire is out of balance, however it only does it for the first 3 or 4 miles or so. It is almost like a bias-ply tire that has flatspotted overnight and has to warm up to regain its round shape.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if I need to have it inspected?

P.S. -- I can't wait for these tires to wear out so I can get a set of 305 BFG AT's, but I just can't justify buying a new set of tires when the ones I have are still good. Does anyone know the average life of the AT/S. I have about 48K on them and the tread is still good?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard of a flatspotting problem with the AT/S. In fact the only flatspotting problem I've ever heard of with a radial tire is the new OEM Pirelli's. Before them, I didn't know it was possible for a radial tire to flatspot overnight.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, I'm not saying that they are flatspotting, thats just what it feels like. I really was just wondering if anyone had a similiar experience with them or if there was something else that could be causing it.

Thanks wandell, if no one else has had a similar experience then it must be something else.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I have BFG A/T's on one of my other vehicles (2nd set in 5 years/70k miles) and I have known them to go out of round if left parked for 24 hours or more during cold weather. As you indicated, you get a thump, thump, thump for the first mile or two and then I guess they warm up and regain their composure. I think it has to do with two things: one, A/T tires are constructed of harder compounds and are less elastic than, say, a performance tire - particulalry when cold, and; two, I only notice it happening when I've let my tire pressures get 4-5 punds low. I don't have Goodyears on any of my vehicles at the moment but I will have the LT275/65/R18's Silent Armor's on my new F150 when it arrives - I'll let you know if I experience anything similar with them.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I've recently noticed that my LT285/70/17 SA's are a bit louder at first when it's below 45 degrees or so. Or maybe it's just me...

Quick Reply: OEM Goodyears Flatspotting?