Issue with rear drums squealing/locking on 98 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Issue with rear drums squealing/locking on 98 F-150

Hi guys, long time no see. It's good to see everyone here again.. I've got a '98 F-150 that just hit 180,000 miles this weekend. After going 170,000 miles without ever needing to do anything more then clean and readjust my rear drums, I've had an issue over the last 5 or 10 thousand miles with my rear brakes squealing like a school bus and locking up and not adjusting properly. The issue seems to be at its worse in the morning or else when the truck hasn't been driven for a few hours, although it is noticeable all the time. I assumed it was finally time to replace the drums and shoes and did so, however this did not seem to resolve my issues. I took a second look at it, and it appeared that the self-adjusting brake cable had appeared to lost its tension, so I went ahead and replaced it aswell, but my issue still remains the same. I'm pretty much out of ideas without beginning to start replacing the rest of the brake hardware. Instead of chasing the issue that direction, I though I'd see if anyone else has ran into a similair problem and may be able to point me in the right direction. I appreciate the help in advance..

Last edited by STX/98; 12-04-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the duplicate thread Steve.. This one can be killed.

Quick Reply: Issue with rear drums squealing/locking on 98 F-150