Pirelli 20's Flatspotting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you know if your tires are flat spotting? What are the symptoms? I have the factory 20" Pirelli's and I havent noticed a thing. I thought they were ok

Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
how do you know if your tires are flat spotting? What are the symptoms? I have the factory 20" Pirelli's and I havent noticed a thing. I thought they were ok
What is it today with people not being able to read?!?!

Post #9 from this very thread....

Originally Posted by zotman21
Whnever it goes below 32 F my tires flatspot, sounds and feels like driving on a washboard. My tires have only 3000 Kilometers on them.
Once they warm up a bit it goes away but the **** off is it takes by the time I get to work for them to warm up....

Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
What is it today with people not being able to read?!?!

Post #9 from this very thread....
I have no problem reading and I did read the post above but I dont know what it feels like to drive on a washboard. Can someone else please let me know what the symptoms are. Thanks

Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I have no problem reading and I did read the post above but I dont know what it feels like to drive on a washboard. Can someone else please let me know what the symptoms are. Thanks

Are you serious!!?? Ok, is this clear enough?

"Thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa...."

Do I need to elaborate further? If so, think about what "flatspotting" actually means...

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-01-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Clear enough. In that case my tires are good to go, thank you

Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Clear enough. In that case my tires are good to go, thank you
Indeed they probably are. Besides, being in NC we aren't going to see the really cold temps that can cause temporary flat spots when parked for a while. Non-steel belted tires are the ones that are more likely to suffer from this. Of course, you can lock up your brakes and skid, resulting in the removal of rubber and a permanent flat spot. Best to replace the tire if that happens.

- NCSU

But seriously, living in NC you never drove down a dirt road with "ripples" in it? That's a washboard road, kinda like this...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I have the same issues with my Pirelli's. I adjusted the air pressure to 40 psi and it seemed to go away for the most part unless it gets really cold. Every time it goes to the dealer they drop them back to 35 psi and they will flat spot in about 6-8 hours of sitting.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Indeed they probably are. Besides, being in NC we aren't going to see the really cold temps that can cause temporary flat spots when parked for a while. Non-steel belted tires are the ones that are more likely to suffer from this. Of course, you can lock up your brakes and skid, resulting in the removal of rubber and a permanent flat spot. Best to replace the tire if that happens.

- NCSU

But seriously, living in NC you never drove down a dirt road with "ripples" in it? That's a washboard road, kinda like this...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Honestly I dont drive the truck enough to know. My truck is in NY right now and has been their parked since Dec. 28. I barely drive the truck but the next time that I am in it I will be on the look out for what you guys are talking about. Since my truck has been sitting in the garage for a month now, Im pretty sure that it has developed flat spots. The truck only has 8000 miles on it, What should I do. I was planning on just keeping the tires until its time to get some new ones.

NCSU I cant tell you the last time I've been on a dirt road. I would never take my truck or cars down one and the last time I've been down one, someone else's must of been driving.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone considered sueing ford for their use of scorpion tires?

I have just about had it with these POS tires. Took it to several dealers and all of them told me that it was typical of that tire, and that the tires will 'round out' after a few miles.

I called ford and the refered me to the same dealers that gave me that gave me this same explaination.

I had no luck getting the tires swapped, I love my f150, but I have the first 10 mins of any extended stop. I run 35psi as they recommend.

I just don't understand how 'they will smooth out after a few miles' is an acceptable answer.

I actually thought about returning my truck right after I bought it. Its now 9 months old and the problem only gets worse.

What do you all think? Obviously replacing the tires at my expense is an option, I just think I should have to replace **** tires that ford used.

Thanks
Brandon

Old 05-28-2008, 02:09 AM
The problem with the stock pirellis is that they are a standard load tire. These trucks are way too heavy for that minimal load. When you are ready to replace them go with a 8ply(load range d) or if you can stand a super stiff ride ride, go with the 10ply(load range E). I have 8ply nittos on mine and they are gonna make 50,000 miles no problem, but when you go to balance them every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, make sure you go to a reputable shop.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Crazyone
I have just about had it with these POS tires. Took it to several dealers and all of them told me that it was typical of that tire, and that the tires will 'round out' after a few miles.

I called ford and the refered me to the same dealers that gave me that gave me this same explaination.

I had no luck getting the tires swapped, I love my f150, but I have the first 10 mins of any extended stop. I run 35psi as they recommend.

I just don't understand how 'they will smooth out after a few miles' is an acceptable answer.

I actually thought about returning my truck right after I bought it. Its now 9 months old and the problem only gets worse.

What do you all think? Obviously replacing the tires at my expense is an option, I just think I should have to replace **** tires that ford used.

Thanks
Brandon
The main problem that Ford is causing is that they are running only 35psi. You need to run at least 40psi. I have between 40-42psi in mine and the flat spotting went away. I had to take the truck to the dealer to get a battery replaced under warranty and the tires and only been on the truck for about 2500 miles and were driving me crazy. I asked the tech to bump up the pressure from 35 to a little over 40. He says well the recommended spec is 35. I said no it is 40. If you would read the gas filler tag it says 40psi for the 18's. There is no way I would run less than 40 in a 20. He added the 5 psi and no more flat spotting.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 PM
..i use purigen 98..its nitrogen..it stops flat spotting and etc..supposedly gives you better gas. they have em at mostly all ford dealerships..i used at a ford dealership and we had a big ol meeting bout it. they use it in the airplane tires.

its only 40 bucks..look at this site. http://www.n2revolution.com/home.html

Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
This flat-spotting issue is something I looked at extensively before I tool delivery of my new rig. I wanted an LT tire for towing, but the flats were another reason I went with the Michelin LTX A/T2's. The only other tire remotely close in size was the BFG T/A's, but they were a little rich for my blood. Here's the Michelins. I love them so far at 800 miles. Very quiet, extremely responsive, and good traction (that I can tell) - but a bit tougher ride, although I do not know what pressure the dealer pumped them up to yet.

Last edited by Smokewagun; 05-28-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added Picture

Quick Reply: Pirelli 20's Flatspotting