Spongy Brakes...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I skipped reading everything in this thread besides the original post.
I thought my 1999 F-150 had spongy brakes too. I tried everything. New pads, new fluid, adjusting the parking brake, etc. But, no matter how spongy I thought it was, it always stopped great, even in panic situations. If the truck is still stopping great, doesn't need new brakes or other parts, then it is probably normal. I now have an F-250 with a firm brake pedal that won't stop for *****.
x2 on that...

My Escape that I had, it too had a hard brake pedal. I tried resolving it with new brakes, fluid, etc... but the brakes on my F150 are so soft it's not funny.

Sometimes while driving, I can actually feel the brakes get hot and I notice that my pedal goes down a little farther. However, the pads and rotors look like they've never been used.

I'll probably get 100k out of the stocks.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well,I'm not here to get into a pissing contest,but I know for a fact here in humid Florida,you will get water in your brake fluid even if the cap is on,there are reasons to replace brake fluid,but if we are all brake tech's,then we know why.We all have our own thoughts on this matter,we can sit here and discuss it for weeks,and nobody will change their mind.So,on that note,you guys can hash this out,I;m not here to try and prove things,I'm here to learn about other things and maybe help someone that needs some help.I; not an engineer,never heve been,never will be,but I am a damn good brake tech.Working out in the field on these vehicles,not just Fords,but about any make there is on the road here since 1981.But,anyways,been good discussing this with you. David

Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Fords have notoriously spongy brakes. Pump em once and they work better. Has been this way in every Ford truck/Expy I have driven in the last 10 years.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by adeese660
Don't take this the wrong way,I am not trying to bash you,but the engineering thing,man,you guys really need to got out in the real world where the vehicles are being repaired.When the brake fluid get moisture in it,and it will,it can change colors because of rust ect...And,when the water is in the brake fluid,it will make the boiling point lower,making your brakes heat up faster,causing brake fade.So the answer to that is,yes,you do need to flush the fluid sometimes.Once you get moisture in the system,not only will you get brake fade,you will get pre-mature failure of parts.It is just like coffee,the darker it gets,the worse it is.The brake fluid can absorb moisture anywhere,when you open a bottle of it,it starts collecting moisture.Let it sit on your shelf open long enough,and it will change colors.Yes,heat will make a change in colors too.Also you are talking manufactures normal use,nobody in the world drives the way the manufacture says to drive.Everybody drives differant,not under your engineering conditions at your work place.Like I said.don't take this the wrong way,if it was not for you guys we would not have much,but,you guys really need to get out in the work places too,and see how the things you creat really work under everyday situations,not lab situations.I have been working on brakes systems since 1981,I have seen it many times.
Here you all go, read it again, excellente'

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Roodoo2
Here you all go, read it again, excellente'
Thats great advice for older trucks. But I have driven brand new Fords with spongy brakes. Crystal clear fluid, spongy. Spongy during first application, not after they heat up. Two different things.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Guys,not once did I write anything in my post about brake fluid being dirty will cause spongy brakes.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
So, with all this talk about moisture in brake fluid and such, would it be a better idea to get a brake job during the winter, when it nice and dry?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
So, with all this talk about moisture in brake fluid and such, would it be a better idea to get a brake job during the winter, when it nice and dry?
Just do like everybody else does,get a brake job when you want to.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by adeese660
Don't take this the wrong way,I am not trying to bash you,but the engineering thing,man,you guys really need to got out in the real world where the vehicles are being repaired.When the brake fluid get moisture in it,and it will,it can change colors because of rust ect...And,when the water is in the brake fluid,it will make the boiling point lower,making your brakes heat up faster,causing brake fade.So the answer to that is,yes,you do need to flush the fluid sometimes.Once you get moisture in the system,not only will you get brake fade,you will get pre-mature failure of parts.It is just like coffee,the darker it gets,the worse it is.The brake fluid can absorb moisture anywhere,when you open a bottle of it,it starts collecting moisture.Let it sit on your shelf open long enough,and it will change colors.Yes,heat will make a change in colors too.Also you are talking manufactures normal use,nobody in the world drives the way the manufacture says to drive.Everybody drives differant,not under your engineering conditions at your work place.Like I said.don't take this the wrong way,if it was not for you guys we would not have much,but,you guys really need to get out in the work places too,and see how the things you creat really work under everyday situations,not lab situations.I have been working on brakes systems since 1981,I have seen it many times.
keep up the good work.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Check this out...

You may want to look into this post. It solved my problem. Since new, the first time you apply the brakes the peddle travel was what I would consider too much. After a second pump on the brakes, it was fine - just the initial application of the brakes had the longer travel.

Found the answer to my problem in this post after trying everything...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=bleed+brakes

May be worth looking into....

Quick Reply: Spongy Brakes...?