Cooper Discoverer STT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper Discoverer STT?

Okay... I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of LT295/70-17 Cooper STTs. I've read lots of good things, but does anyone have any last-minute opinions as to why I should or shouldn't? My truck is a road queen, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
I have a set of 275/65/18's. I really like them so far. Not too noisy. I think they look great. Pics in my profile if you wanna see.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I was checking out your gallery earlier. I almost bought the same color truck! I couldn't decide so I let a little girl that was shopping with her family decide. She picked silver..

Anyway, I'm trying to qualify "not too noisy". I read that a lot, but I think it really depends on what you're comparing them to: A/T, M/T, factory tires.. Were you running the factory tires before the STT? I'm running REVO A/Ts right now.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I was running the stockers before. The only time i hear a big difference is when going slow, you can hear them more. Mostly because of the side lugs. I have mine studded for winter, so that makes them louder. Plus i have a magnaflow, so i really can't hear them. So, i'm not sure if your asking the right person.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
What Magnaflow system are you running? That's next on my list, but I haven't done a ton of research on it, yet. Your cab resonance is really that loud? I know these are tough questions... kind of hard to explain what something sounds like

Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm running an 18"x 6" round magnaflow. Removed stock unit, welded this one on, custom bent a piece of pipe to come out in front of rear wheel, welded on a 16"x3.5" magnaflow tip at an angle. Pics in gallery. There is some drone in the cab over 2000 rpm's, but it's not bad at all. Cost me about 175$ for this. If you would just remove the stock one, add a piece of pipe to make up the diff in length, it would push the muffler back. Have stock tailpipe location. Probably wouldn't have much drone.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Good info. Thanks a lot

Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Dont buy them. They are GARBAGE!!! Out of all the sets i have sold not one of them has lasted over 20K

Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by diesel_brad
Dont buy them. They are GARBAGE!!! Out of all the sets i have sold not one of them has lasted over 20K
can you give us some more info.. like where you sell them? what kind of vehicles they go on? if the customers are rotating them? Also you said in a different thread they are the same tire as the toyo.. the toyo mt is not the same tire from what my research has told me, it is however copied by the stt in tread pattern alone. If that's not true then how else are they the same? They are made buy two totally separate companies in two different countries no where near each other, the cooper is a softer compound and that is why it is listed as a snow tire, the toyo is a hard compund. Please give some more info. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard mixed reviews about these too. guy in town had them and he wasnt pleased with them either, but they were on a 1 ton duramax and he worked construction. also had a plow, so 20k miles on a truck that gets molested aint that bad in my eyes. if you spend 45grand on a truck, whats a 1000 bucks on tires every year, just how i perceive things. just like people that spend 35 grand on a super crew and **** and moan about 14mpg or gas went up 10 cents

Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
This is getting me spooked. I'm about to drop over $1000 on these tires. I would really like to hear from guys running these tires for 10k+ miles to see what your treadwear is like, and your driving habits. Like I said, I'll be on pavement.

I would go with the Toyo M/T, but the STTs are about 13 lbs lighter, a little cheaper and are softer, so I can use them in the snow. I would think that their wet traction will be a little better than the Toyos too, if they're made from a softer compound.

Anyone??

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by 051fdrof
This is getting me spooked. I'm about to drop over $1000 on these tires. I would really like to hear from guys running these tires for 10k+ miles to see what your treadwear is like, and your driving habits. Like I said, I'll be on pavement.

I would go with the Toyo M/T, but the STTs are about 13 lbs lighter, a little cheaper and are softer, so I can use them in the snow. I would think that their wet traction will be a little better than the Toyos too, if they're made from a softer compound.

Anyone??
Here is a pick of my Coopers over 35,000 miles i have rode on them with NO PROBLEM. u just have to keep them rotated faithfully. please feel free to ask me anything about these tires, because they are my FAVORITE

Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
I used to work at OK4WD as a salesman and shop consultant. EVERY set of tires wore very poorly. Most were on super duties. Yet we sold a couple of sets on half tone chevys. Cooper is owned by Toyo

Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
O and i have personal experiance w a set on my Brothers 05 superduty. 10K old and approx 4/32 left. Truck's miles are pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer to NY a bunch of times each year. And if you think thats heavy? Then you shouldnt own a fullsize truck. Tried rotating them at 5k intervalls but the first time they were rotated they were so far out of balance we couldnt. The tires couldnt be balanced without over 8 ounces of weight. THESE TIRES ARE GARBAGE!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:16 PM
O and i have personal experiance w a set on my Brothers 05 superduty. 10K old and approx 4/32 left. Truck's miles are pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer to NY a bunch of times each year. And if you think thats heavy? Then you shouldnt own a fullsize truck. Tried rotating them at 5k intervalls but the first time they were rotated they were so far out of balance we couldnt. The tires couldnt be balanced without over 8 ounces of weight. THESE TIRES ARE GARBAGE!!!!!!

so then the toyo's are just as bad?

Quick Reply: Cooper Discoverer STT?