Brakes lock at low speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes lock at low speeds...

Hello, I have a '99 F150 V6, and I am having a problem with my brakes. Whenever my truck is rolling at low speeds (lower then 10 mph) and I press my brakes it will slow a little then the brakes will catch causing my tires to chirp. I was wondering if maybe I need to check and either bleed the line or maybe it was a caliper issue. Any help would be appreciated and sorry if I haven't described the problem well enough.

*edit for grammatical error

Old 02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Do you notice it ALL the time or only when it is wet or damp air?

My 98 has done this for a long time. I have changed, calipers, rotors, pads, slider pins, and, hoses. Still does it when damp out. I have pretty much gotten used to it at this point. I just creep along when first starting out in the mornings, and, press lightly on the brake in a coast (better known as dragging the brakes) and it will prevent whiplash and flat spots on your tires. LMAO

Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
check your master cylinder. i just got done fixing that same problem a few minutes ago on a customer car.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Ya, this is a pretty common thing. The problem arose like around a 1-2 months after the brakes where changed, they weren't taken to a shop but done at home by my dad.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by no mo hondas
check your master cylinder. i just got done fixing that same problem a few minutes ago on a customer car.
Master cylinder and booster fixed it for about 4 days. Came right back.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
How hard is the master cylinder to change out? I bet its already been discussed huh? I'll do a search

Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by b0wz3rx
Hello, I have a '99 F150 V6, and I am having a problem with my brakes. Whenever my truck is rolling at low speeds (lower then 10 mph) and I press my brakes it will slow a little then the brakes will catch causing my tires to chirp. I was wondering if maybe I need to check and either bleed the line or maybe it was a caliper issue. Any help would be appreciated and sorry if I haven't described the problem well enough.

*edit for grammatical error
Wheel cylinders stick on these when they are cold/damp and lurch out causing them to grab on the first stop or two, not a serious problem but annoying.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 AM
I've had this issue w/ my '99 5.4 since I bought it in '03. My only solution was to warm up the pads, then they work fine.

My only guess is that it's happening b/c the pads for trucks of this weight are designed to work better with a little heat in them. And cold mornings mean no heat. It stops happening right after the first or second use of the brakes.

Quick Reply: Brakes lock at low speeds...