new tires, torsion crank, possible block or aal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tires, torsion crank, possible block or aal?

Ok my new tires will be here Friday morning at 8:00am and should be on the truck by 9:00am...going to a cooper discoverer STT in the 33 x 12.50x 17, up from my 285/70/17 im running now. I am having the local offroad shop crank up my torsion bars a bit to really level the truck out in the front, and then depending on how that looks I am considering either adding an AAL or maybe swapping in a bigger block for the factory block on the rear axle...ive never added a block in before and when i went and looked at mine from the factory it was sort of an odd setup...what size block would I need to get to swap in for my factory one to get maybe an inch to an inch and a half more height in the back... or should i just get the AAL? whatever I get will have to be done tomorrow...so that the extra clearance will be there for the new tires on Friday

Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't lift the rear. The oem block is 2 inches, so a 3 inch block would lift the rear an inch.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM
i was thinking of lifting the rear b/c of possible clearance issues when truck is sitting at odd angles...

Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by south_ms_sprcru
i was thinking of lifting the rear b/c of possible clearance issues when truck is sitting at odd angles...
i have heard aal will stiffen the ride. but when i do my leveling kit, i am going to add the aal also. but you need to watch out....i have also heard that a 1.5" aal will give you 2". you dont want too much back there. also, where are you getting it done at here in town? i can only think of one place and i have heard they rape you pretty good.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Louis, up at Camper City Truck Accessories is doing it for me. Todd Nations owns the place and is a good friend of mine that I have known for years. Louis is his main guy who is now doing lifts. Its something new that they have only been doing since right before Christmas. Louis was doing a lot of sidejobs before that so they figured why not start doing them at the shop. They are also doing tires and wheels now. Chris Brown is the tint guy and does other accessory installs there and Ive known him for a long time as well...as far as high prices, not that ive ever known. Todd has always treated me right. Chris has been tinting my windows for close to 8 years now and is argueably the best in South Mississippi. I definitely recommend giving them a chance. I hope when you mention the place that rapes you good, you meant Big 10..and if it is then I would most definitely tell you to run as far as you can from that place. They tried to put a body lift on my tacoma once, ordered the wrong lift kit, and then tried to install it anyway. I almost sued them over it, but they ended up straightening it out on their own, and yes their prices are ridiculously high.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
anyone know if they make like a 1 inch aal? thats really all the extra lift i was wanting in the rear...2" would be way to much

Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no need for it, you are not going to have any clearance issues.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
i have to go out tonight at some point and find a way to replace the screw in the bottom of my passenger rear fender flare b/c its missing and im almost certain that as soon as the new grips go on its going to rip it off b/c its hanging pretty loose at the bottom right now and isnt tucked up tight to the fender

Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Louis, up at Camper City Truck Accessories is doing it for me. Todd Nations owns the place and is a good friend of mine that I have known for years. Louis is his main guy who is now doing lifts. Its something new that they have only been doing since right before Christmas. Louis was doing a lot of sidejobs before that so they figured why not start doing them at the shop. They are also doing tires and wheels now. Chris Brown is the tint guy and does other accessory installs there and Ive known him for a long time as well...as far as high prices, not that ive ever known. Todd has always treated me right. Chris has been tinting my windows for close to 8 years now and is argueably the best in South Mississippi. I definitely recommend giving them a chance. I hope when you mention the place that rapes you good, you meant Big 10..and if it is then I would most definitely tell you to run as far as you can from that place. They tried to put a body lift on my tacoma once, ordered the wrong lift kit, and then tried to install it anyway. I almost sued them over it, but they ended up straightening it out on their own, and yes their prices are ridiculously high.
yea i was talking about Big 10. i went to look for a grille for my 06. they gave me a price of $750. i found the exact same one brand new on ebay for $350. talk about a mark up......but i didnt know camper city did that stuff.... i will have to go by there. i want to get my front windows tinted later in down the road, closer to summer since i have a black truck now. i am going to tackle the leveling kit and aal myself here in the driveway, but is going to wait also. i am going to add the new back up camera first. i was about to buy a set of goodyeard wrangler ats in a 275/65/20 since i can get a set for $445 plus install at sears, but i have been told not to do it. they are not good tires. so i think i am going to wait and save up for a good set of tires. my truck is new and i have a good set now, i will jsut have to wait on the look i want. well good luck and post pics when u get it done......

Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 AM
well the tires are now on! they fit great, no rubbing whatsoever. So nice to have deep tread again...I added a new album to my gallery so yall can see what they look like now.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 AM

well the tires are now on! they fit great, no rubbing whatsoever. So nice to have deep tread again...I added a new album to my gallery so yall can see what they look like now.
looks good....what did u decide on the rear?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
decided to leave it alone. Ive got plenty of room and if I really wanna lift the back an inch higher I will have to max out my torsion bars in the front and thats just more than I feel is safe for my truck. The truck rides like a dream right now and should get even better when I replace the shocks next month, its amazing how much a fresh set of tires does for the ride and handling.Now if only I can talk myself into buying a set of bilsteins for it lol

Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 AM

decided to leave it alone. Ive got plenty of room and if I really wanna lift the back an inch higher I will have to max out my torsion bars in the front and thats just more than I feel is safe for my truck. The truck rides like a dream right now and should get even better when I replace the shocks next month, its amazing how much a fresh set of tires does for the ride and handling.Now if only I can talk myself into buying a set of bilsteins for it lol
do it....i will getting a set once i need new ones, maybe even b4 if i finish my list of mods i want to do first!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM
im thinking im going to...my uncle put a set on his dakota and it actually made the truck sit about an inch higher, and rides like a luxury car now.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:21 PM

im thinking im going to...my uncle put a set on his dakota and it actually made the truck sit about an inch higher, and rides like a luxury car now.
that is what i hear also.....oh yea, if you ever need anything, they move me to the lincoln road store now......stop by if you need anything!!!

Quick Reply: new tires, torsion crank, possible block or aal?