E-brake question. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-brake question. HELP!

I can't seem to figure out how to get the existing cable from the brake assembly. Does anyone know how to do this...?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I take it you mean disconnect from the hook on the backing plate? Sure, weird how it doesn't just come off, but channellocks and no patience usually does it for me. Try it with the brakes applied, it might assist in springing back. There really isn't much to know other than pulling and wiggling and gripping trying to turn it to slide.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I guess the backing plate. i can't seem to get the cable end free from the whole pedal assembly. I have it loose from the fenderwell but i can't seem to get it loose. I've pulled, yanked, cussed..... none of which seemed to work...

Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Try even sticking a flat screwdriver in there, a bigger one, and pry it, from the front and push it toward the rear of the vehicle. I'm assuming you aren't trying to replace the cable, just disconnect at the brake assembly at the wheel. Behind this essentially:

I wished I could assist more, alot of times I grab what I have and jam it wherever, no science to it. Try to push the hook towards the front while pulling the cable back. Basically, you want to take the loop part of the cable and twist it opposite to where it normally sits, but pulling on it so it releases from the hook. It's hard to explain, I know, but if you can get the loop to go in line with the axle and pull back. The only other sure way is to take the e-brakes top spring off and pull the piece that a) hooks the cable and b) in doing that, spreads the shoes outward. Take it apart inside out if possible.

What exactly are you doin anyways? Replacing the e-brakes, the cable or what? I've never replaced a cable before, never had to, but everything else I have on the axle side of things.

Another question, what type of truck, what type of brakes, year of it, any important info might help also. This is explained by me if you have rear discs, sorry, I made that assumption

Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm sorry, It's a 2005 F150 FX4 supercrew. I ran over a tree branch and it took out my front emergency brake cable. I have the old one out. (for the most part) The problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to get the old cable end out from the emergency brake pedal. That whole assembly unbolts from the fenderwell but even with it unbolted, I can't see how it comes out. Other than this the job appears to be pretty straight forward. Anyone know how to accomplish this....?

Quick Reply: E-brake question. HELP!