Changing brake lines...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing brake lines...

My truck ('97 f150 4wd 4.6L) needs a bit of brake work. Rotors and brake pads I can do with no problem, but also need to replace front brake hoses as well and I've never done that before. Is this a job that I can do (I'm fairly decent w/ a wrench) or something that should be left to the mechanic. Who's done this before and what do I need to be aware of before I dive into this to keep the $$ in my pocket and not someone elses.

As always, any information is greatly appreciated....Scott

Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Rotties150
My truck ('97 f150 4wd 4.6L) needs a bit of brake work. Rotors and brake pads I can do with no problem, but also need to replace front brake hoses as well and I've never done that before. Is this a job that I can do (I'm fairly decent w/ a wrench) or something that should be left to the mechanic. Who's done this before and what do I need to be aware of before I dive into this to keep the $$ in my pocket and not someone elses.

As always, any information is greatly appreciated....Scott
If you are just talking about the flex lines, it should be pretty easy. You can just put a wrench on them and take them off. They will connect to a hard line on the body and to the caliper. You may have to take out some of the wheel well covers to get to the connection at the body, but I doubt you'll even need to do that.

Good luck

Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
MSH
///

Last edited by MSH; 03-10-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Good advice so far. If you can do the pads and rotors, you can do the lines also. Be sure to get all the air bled out. Put a fuel line hose on the bleeder fittings and drain the fluid into a jar. Bleed until the bubbles stop. Be sure the master cylinder doesn't get low.

Quick Reply: Changing brake lines...