04 Lariat - ? Replacing Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spindle nut

what size socket do i need to remove the spindle nut, and should i use a 6 sided, or 12 sided socket?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Use a 36mm socket, or if you cant find one, like i did, i bought a 1 7/16", either 6 or 12 point will work, but in a case like this with high torque, i would prefer a 6 point. To get the torque right, without buying or renting a torque wrench that will go that high, just put a cheater pipe on your 1/2 breakover bar. But calculate the lever moment, i.e., i weigh about 150 lbs, so i set the pipe at 24" from pivot point. Then i stand on the end, (2 ft x 150=300 ft lbs)
Do NOT bounce on it, DONT go more than that. (I had put 3-4 drops of red loctite on the threads). Even our local Ford dealer said they reuse the nuts all the time. They just hammer them back on with an impact. BTW,,, there 25 bucks a piece and they will prob. have to order them. Some folks mark a spot on the nut flange, in line with the cotter pin, and it should go back to the same spot when finished. have fun.....rossford

Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Ford 2WD Rotor replacement

Originally Posted by MeanGene
I got mine at the Ford Stealer, but he charges $28.00 a side. You can get the same nut cheaper elsewhere. I got a 300 ft. lb. torque wrench at Harbor freight for around $75.00.

When I did mine, I changed to Bear Eradispeed rotors which come as a two piece set. Now the disk is separate from the hub and can be removed without having to deal with the hub.

I checked the manual and the spindle nut torque is not 300 ft. lb. it's 295 fl. lb. So it's not as bad as you thought.

Also I wanted to add that mine was easy to take off. They use two large sealed ball bearings in the hub and the whole assembly just pulled off, although it does weigh a bit, cast iron and all.

Picture shows the new Bear hub.

With the disk installed.

<font color= Red> I was wondering If you need to lube up the inside of the hub, the new rotor with hub attached doesn't look greased up? thanx</font>

Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nope, the 2WD uses a pair of sealed Timken bearings. But I know what you mean, have a grease packer for the tapered roller type, if needed.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Personnally, I would avoid drilled rotors unless you are racing. Slotted are ok, but drilled are hard on pads and your not creating enough heat to really need them. The nut can be gotten at many parts stores. I'm not advocating it, but I reused mine 45,000 miles ago and have had no issues. They are held in place by a large cotter pin. Mine were done back before you could get replacemants nuts. I bought Raybestos rotors at a local parts store as I needed them in a hurry due to a bearing failure.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, there overkill, but what the heck.

You can never have to much brakes.

Stock on the left, and now my cast iron one piece rotor and hub is now a two piece and I will never have to mess with the nut again unless I need to change the hub or something.

Quick Reply: 04 Lariat - ? Replacing Rotors