Bouncing when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bouncing when Braking

I have a 1999 F-150 V-8, 4.2 (i believe). I have started to experience a bouncing in the back of the truck when braking. I am not sure of what is causing the problem. I have change out both of the rotors and brakes on the rear wheels but that didn't help the problem. I have a long weekend coming up and so I would love to have some advice to where to start looking for this problem.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Davis

Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Are you sure it's the rear? Is it only when you brake? Have you changed the front rotors?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also have you ever replaced shocks? Worn shocks will cause all kinds of handling problems.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, are you sure its a 4.2L V8? Either you have a 4.6L V8 or a 4.2L V6. I experience bouncing when slowing through 40 mph on mine, but I'm getting new pads soon.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Also have you ever replaced shocks? Worn shocks will cause all kinds of handling problems.
Didn't even think about that. If it's still got factory shocks, it's probably time for new ones anyway.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Myren
Didn't even think about that. If it's still got factory shocks, it's probably time for new ones anyway.
If they are OE, they have probably been bad or going since about 2001. I never keep OE shocks past 30k.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 AM
I changed the front rotors and brakes a little over a year ago and I had all new shock put on the truck about 4 years ago.

The truck is a 4.6L, I couldn't remember off hand last post.

I will start will seeing if I can get the front rotors turned or see if they are wharped.

Myren: It feels like it is the back of the truck but it is hard to verify that fact for me.

I only have that bouncing effect when braking not under regular driving. Would that still be caused by faulty shocks?

Thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM
It is possible it would still be shocks.When braking a lot of weight comes off the rear. May be enough with bad shocks that any little change in the road would cause bounce with a bad shock. Is there any oil on the outside of the shock.
As the rear springs are so stiff, it is very difficult to use the bounce test to see if the shocks are bad. You may want to unbolt the lower mount and see how much resistance you get when trying to compress the shock. 4 years can be a long time for shocks, depending on how many miles a year you put on them and how cheap you go with the replacements.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Flotown
I will start will seeing if I can get the front rotors turned or see if they are wharped.

Myren: It feels like it is the back of the truck but it is hard to verify that fact for me.

I only have that bouncing effect when braking not under regular driving. Would that still be caused by faulty shocks?

Thanks!
If the valving inside the shock(s) is messed up that may cause the problem or the front rotors could be a little warped........Have you had a buddy drive beside you to see if there is a visible shake when you brake? Kinda feel like I'm grasping at straws now.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Flotown
I have a 1999 F-150 V-8, 4.2 (i believe). I have started to experience a bouncing in the back of the truck when braking. I am not sure of what is causing the problem. I have change out both of the rotors and brakes on the rear wheels but that didn't help the problem. I have a long weekend coming up and so I would love to have some advice to where to start looking for this problem.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Davis

Been there
Have the front torsion bar checked.
loose rubber will give a shimmie effect on stopping.
the harder the break the harder the vibrations, and faster,
big very fast vibrations, depending on the break force.

wrong 100

Last edited by wrong100; 04-01-2008 at 01:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Bouncing when Braking