Help! '05 F150 possible collapse vacuum line???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! '05 F150 possible collapse vacuum line???

I drove through one of the drive thru car washes the other day, then stopped for a soda at a convenience store. Got back in the truck and it did the thing when if you don't hold the key in the start position long enough and didn't start. Tried again and same thing. Took key out waited a minute and it started. This (starting problem) has happened before but not frequently. This may or may not have anything to do with the following events.
Now to the real story.
Pulled out from the store and going down the road about 1/4 to 1/2 mile, and brakes do not work. I pushed as hard as hell on the pedal and it hardly even depresses. I throw it in neutral and use the emergency brake to stop at a stop sign. I put it in drive and push hard on the brakes and they will not even hold me stopped in drive. I make it home by use of emergency brake and shifting in/out of drive/neutral (what an experience). Oh, no lights ever came on the dash.
'05 F140 FX4 with 43,000 miles and out of warranty. I bring it to a local mechanic shop and he seems to think it may be a vacuum line collapsed that runs behind the engine. He also says he cannot get to that vacuum line without either pulling the engine from the top, or dropping the crossmember from the bottom (Can you say big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). I'm waiting on an estimate right now and depending on that, I'll probably bring it to the FORD dealership also for estimate and diagnosis.
Has anyone else ever had this type of problem? How much was it to fix? Is there another thing I should try fixing before doing this?

Please help.......
Thanks,
Jason

Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I suggest you get your truck out of that shop. I cannot imagine a vacuum line that needs to be accessed is so far the back of the engine that the engine needs to come out to get at it. Any vacuum line attached to the truck should plug in to the intake manifold at some point and you certainly do not need to remove the engine for access to that.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
how big are you Jason? Would you say you are average size, or small and wimpy?
(no offense meant)

If it were simply a vacuum line failure, you should still be able to stop the truck. This is called the "no-boost" condition and we test for it. There are requirements that you have to be able to stop the truck in a certain distance without any boost.

So, while what you are describing DOES sound like a vacuum failure... the fact that you had zero brakes is very disturbing.

Furthermore - I can think of no reasons that you would lose all brakes and have a hard pedal... unless something is wrong with the pedal assembly maybe??? Have you done any work in that area?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM
vacuum line

Well, I'm about 5'10" and weigh about 190 so I don't think I would have trouble pushing on the brakes.
Anyways, I talked with the mech. just now and the vacuum line that needs changing runs along the back side on the engine and connects to the back side of the intake, so the intake needs to be taken off. It's gonna cost about 500, mostly for the labor to take off the manifold.
I think my problem may have something to do with the problem I had when starting it. Has anyone else had that problem when starting your F150? It's like if you don't hold the key in the start position long enough it kinda kicks back and backfires and doesn't start. The mech. did say it was possible that something could have been forced back through the line (fuel, clog, etc.).

BTW, I'm gonna go ahead and replace the brake pads while I'm at it. Should I replace both front and back, or just the front. I have 43,000 miles. I will probably just have the rotors turned and not replaced.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by jason-br
Well, I'm about 5'10" and weigh about 190 so I don't think I would have trouble pushing on the brakes.
Anyways, I talked with the mech. just now and the vacuum line that needs changing runs along the back side on the engine and connects to the back side of the intake, so the intake needs to be taken off. It's gonna cost about 500, mostly for the labor to take off the manifold.
I think my problem may have something to do with the problem I had when starting it. Has anyone else had that problem when starting your F150? It's like if you don't hold the key in the start position long enough it kinda kicks back and backfires and doesn't start. The mech. did say it was possible that something could have been forced back through the line (fuel, clog, etc.).

BTW, I'm gonna go ahead and replace the brake pads while I'm at it. Should I replace both front and back, or just the front. I have 43,000 miles. I will probably just have the rotors turned and not replaced.
based on your earlier description, I'm still not convinced its a vacuum line problem.
I assume you are driving another vehicle right now? Or do you have access to someone else's vehicle (ideally another F150).
For comparison to decide if its a vacuum line issue - get into this other vehicle of your choice. With the engine OFF, pump the brake pedal 5-6 times to deplete the vacuum in the booster. You'll know when its depleted as the brake pedal will get very hard. Now try applying the brakes - you should notice that the brake pedal is very hard, but that you can push it in with some effort, and if you are on a hill - you will notice that you can keep the vehicle from rolling.

The other option if you are more adventurous - pull the vacuum line out of the check valve of the booster on a good vehicle and test drive it... you will see what a bad vacuum line feels like.
but do it in an open area where you don't need emergency stops.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
it's ready

Well, I talked with the mech. yesterday afternoon and he says it's ready and that it's fixed.
He replaced that vacuum line and the intake manifold gaskets.
I'll pick it up Monday.
Oh, $524.00 later.
Thanks for all who tried to help me. I know that you guys really wanted to provide good info, but a good mech. who can really apply his knowledge and actually see and feel the problem cannot be substituted.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by jason-br
Well, I talked with the mech. yesterday afternoon and he says it's ready and that it's fixed.
He replaced that vacuum line and the intake manifold gaskets.
I'll pick it up Monday.
Oh, $524.00 later.
Thanks for all who tried to help me. I know that you guys really wanted to provide good info, but a good mech. who can really apply his knowledge and actually see and feel the problem cannot be substituted.
I am not completely sure that this issue was not a Ford Safety Recall. I know the post is old but I had to comment.

Quick Reply: Help! '05 F150 possible collapse vacuum line???