'97 brake line flare type - I'm confused..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008 | 09:37 PM
|
'97 brake line flare type - I'm confused..

I have found a leak in the junction in the brake line that runs from the master cylinder to the rear axle. I unscrewed the junction and found the ends of the two steel lines butted together. One side has a normal male threaded flare nut, the other a female threaded nut. The ends of the two lines do not look like they have a typical double-flare; instead they look a little 'flatter'.

I would like to avoid replacing either line, but I am not sure that I can avoid it. If I do replace one or both, how do I select the proper tubing type (flare type)? I think the other end of each line is a standard double flare....

Old 04-19-2008 | 07:30 AM
it should be just standard 3/16 line. im confused what junction you are talking about?? the one thats on the rear axle itself??? autozone has preflared 3/16 line all u need is the coupling. your talking maybye 30$ to replace from the master all the way to the rear flex line connection. seeing its a 97 id replace every line. try to get a pic if u can.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 04-19-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2008 | 09:58 AM
|
It does not appear to be a standard line. The line from the rear axle to the master cylinder is broken into two separate pieces. One goes from the MC to just below the driver's seat where it connects to the second piece that runs along the frame rail, just inside the gas tank, to the junction at the rear axle.

The place where the two lines join (below the driver's seat) does not appear standard. the ends of the tubing is not a standard double flare; one is mushroomed, the other rounded to mate to it. Also, the ends of the two pieces of tubing butt against one another, there is no fitting between them.

pics:
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...0brake%20line/

Old 04-19-2008 | 12:38 PM
ok i remember that connection when i did my 97. i never unhooked it i just replaced the whole line.you have the rear a.b.s only right?? when you get 3/16
line at autozone it already has the flare and the connection done all you need is the coupler piece its like 2$ and usually they are right in stock.the only extra fitting youl need is the one that goes into that a.b.s block piece that right after the master.i know its more work but..piece of mind

Last edited by keith97xlt; 04-19-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2008 | 01:15 PM
|
My issue is that both halves of the line appear ok, it's just the joint (shown in the pics) that is leaking. I really don't want to change either line if I don't have to. The rear half looks like you have to drop the gas tank to get to it; the front is so twisted that there's no way I could do it with one piece of tubing.

I guess you are saying to replace the whole line and just use standard 3/16 double flare the whole way. Is this what you mean?

Are you saying that the only "extra fitting" I will need in this scenario is the termination at the ABS block? If so, what is exactly is this piece? Does it convert the 3/16 double flare to something different at the ABS box?

Old 04-19-2008 | 04:21 PM
you dont have to drop the tank. rip out all the old line from the a.b.s block thing up by the master all the way back to the flex line connection. then take measurements. you can by lengths from 8 inches all the way to 48 inches so just put your connections where youll be able to get the flare wrenches on.you can run a piece from where the connection is now all the way back to flex line connection and you dont have to remove or drop anything. remember once you have it all hooked up you can still bend it a little so you cabn clamp it up to the frame or wherever. if i remember correctly the threads in the a.b.s block is a little bigger so youll need the adapter. think its 1/4 inch t0 3/16 is what you need.they are cheap enough so pick up a few sizes so your not making 5 trips.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 04-19-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply: '97 brake line flare type - I'm confused..