Driving w/ Wider tires and lift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Driving w/ Wider tires and lift?

Hey
Ive been thinkin about putting on a lift n sum 35's on as tires. With the bigger the tire you go, the wider it gets right?
Does it get harder to drive? Does it pull more? What would it be like in the snow?

Thanks for reading

Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For snow, the wider, the worse it is in snow. It floats over rather than digging in and getting traction.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truck will feel a bit sluggish unless you get some power upgrades, and depending on the tire the ride might be a bit rougher. I have 285/70/17 on my rig (33x11.5) and I love them in snow. I don't think the wide tire compromises snow traction at all. It mostly depends on the tire choice.

You need to give us more details on your truck before we can advise on tire sizes. What lift? What wheels? What tires?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Hey
Thanks
Ive just been looking around... everyone tells me not to lift the truck cuz then I won't like driving it as much. I was first thinkin about getting a 6" Lift (not sure which brand) then put 35's on.. but now I'm debating if I should just put a 4" body lift and put 33"s on (I'm not a hardcore offroader anyways) and I dont exactly like big gap look from wheel to the top of the fender when trucks are lifted that high.. so mayb a body lift & levelin kit would work for me...
Another question.. Would bigger tires mean rubbing?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything is a trade off. A 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires should not affect you handling too much. You have to be realistic. A lifted truck is not gonna handle like a Vette, but then again, neither is a minivan. My in-laws had a Ford Aerostar minivan in the early 90's. It was probably the worst handling vehicle I've ever driven. It was much more top heavy feeling than any lifted 4x4 I've ever owned.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the right set up, no, you wont have any rubbing. You can easily clear 35s with a 6" kit. I have never heard of a 4" body lift? There is a 3" body lift but after the cost of install its just as expensive as the suspension lift.

Do any of your friends have a lifted truck? Try driving one, taking it around town, parking it, taking it on the freeway, and just do your daily routine. Somethings are annoying, like not being able to get into some parking garages and parking in a downtown area, but you gotta pay to play.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
I love driving a lifted truck. It is way more fun than stock. People just tend to give you more respect on the road. You don't worry about hitting a curb or speed bumps. Plus you sit up high and have a great view of everything on the road. If you want to drive like a race car driver than you might not want to lift it. Plus it just looks bad azz lifted.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
For snow, the wider, the worse it is in snow. It floats over rather than digging in and getting traction.
Absolutely right! I'm sure some 12.50's are better than others in snow, but they're all worse than a more narrow tire.

You live in Canada. Worry about snow.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
hey 051fdrof i love your rims

Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks! I was blown away when I opened the box. They're way sexier in person (like all wheels).

Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I couldn't really tell much difference at all between the ride/drivabilty between my truck stock, and with the lift/tires. Except for some power loss of course.

If you get much snow DO NOT GET THE BAJA CLAW! it's terrible in the snow. i would imagine that if you got a tire that had a lot of crosscuts in it you would be just fine.

the BF goodrich A/T is a great tire for snow, they make a 35(or so) for it and it looks great.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I noticed a pretty big difference in ride/handling with 35's. The ride is a little rougher and I also have a little bit of bump steer when going over large bumps on the highway. Toyo M/Ts are very heavy so it's pretty sluggish starting from a stop. As mentioned, larger tires, especially M/Ts, handle poorly in the snow.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Copenhagen848
I noticed a pretty big difference in ride/handling with 35's. The ride is a little rougher and I also have a little bit of bump steer when going over large bumps on the highway. Toyo M/Ts are very heavy so it's pretty sluggish starting from a stop. As mentioned, larger tires, especially M/Ts, handle poorly in the snow.
Copenhagen, did u get a steering stablizer? I put one on right away so i'm not sure how much it helped.

I think the big problem with M/T's is that there are almost no cuts going around the diameter of the tire. so it's almost like a slick with regards to sideway's traction.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
Copenhagen, did u get a steering stablizer? I put one on right away so i'm not sure how much it helped.
No....I thought about it but there isn't one for the 4" Rancho kit. I believe a few members used the Fabtech stabilizers with the Rancho kit but had to do some minor fabrication to get it to work.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 AM

ya the fabtech has one brace that mounts to the frame(maybe it mounts to the fabtech lift part) and then one end of the shock mounts to the brace and the other to the steering bar(or whatever it is). I could take a pic of mine sometime if you ever need it.

Quick Reply: Driving w/ Wider tires and lift?