Anybody familiar with the TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody familiar with the TPMS

My truck came with factory 20's which I have since replaced with FX4 18's and 35's. Prior to mounting the 35's, BN Ford TPMS sensors, cradles and bands were installed on the 18's. All was well for nearly a week then I got a TPMS "malfunction" indicated by the idiot light blinking for 1 minute on every startup and then remaining illuminated afterwards. I took it to the dealer and they attempted to reset the light with negative results. But, because the 18's are not original equipment on my truck, they would not go any farther without billing. This is not a low pressure light, tire pressure was around 40 when the 35's were installed and I backed it off to around 35 shortly thereafer. Anyone ever have this happen?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't say I have heard of it before.
If the light stays on all the time, that would indicate to me that either a sensor has gone bad or a battery is dead. If it goes off after sitting overnight, then for one reason or another, a sensor thinks it is always in the parked mode. It only sends out a signal every hour then. While moving it sends a signal every minute. If the vehicle is moving, but not getting a signal every minute, it will turn on the error condition.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if one of the sensors came loose? ive never had a problem with mine, i got oem 20's on my truck truck and it came with 17's. the "malfunction" would mean one of them aint working, tryin taking each wheel off and rolling it, i bet one of those came loose. did a shop put them on? a tiny little clip holds them on, supposedly they shouldnt be used more than once , well thats what the guy at the dealer told me anyway.

Quick Reply: Anybody familiar with the TPMS