Replacing pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JNC995
I had 04 on my profile. Just changed it. I still have an 04, but its for sale.
Which brand do you recommend? The brembo, stop tech, or the powerslot?
What exactly am I looking for when I check the pad? Never even looked at a drum brake before.
I personally recommend the stoptech slotted rotors and centric posi quiet pads. They are pretty much the same thing as the powerslots though, as it is the same company now. The only difference is a black vs silver coating, and a slightly different slot pattern.

When you check the pad, if it looks like there is a good amount of pad material you're good to go... if you are questioning it, you can always take a pic and show us.

I know these are pads, not the shoes... but you can get an idea of what a worn pad/shoe looks like and a new one

Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
K, I'll try to check it out this weekend. I looked at the rear, and they look like drums.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:48 AM
JNC,
Sorry about the link and as I have been away, I was unable to correct the link...Brakes are easy to do but there are a few tricky items to consider...The bolts holding the caliper bracket tot he spindle can be a real pain to remove, I am lucky as I have an impact but if you don't it can be hard to extract them.

Try this site for a whole bunch of F-150 repair items..I copied the site as it came up in "my favorites" so it is a little different.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/

My F-150 Heritage has rear discs and there is a very distinct difference in the two, if you had rear discs-you'd know right away just looking at them.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Cool, thanks for the link. Thats getting saved to the favorites.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
I personally recommend the stoptech slotted rotors and centric posi quiet pads. They are pretty much the same thing as the powerslots though, as it is the same company now. The only difference is a black vs silver coating, and a slightly different slot pattern.

What the difference in the slotted and the drilled? And I see that the stoptechs have one with both.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Suspended
Slotted basically keeps the pad surface perfectly clean/smooth to ensure a perfect braking surface. Drilled helps keep the rotors cooler, but in my opinion, it is un needed unless there is SEVERE braking in race conditions.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
Slotted basically keeps the pad surface perfectly clean/smooth to ensure a perfect braking surface. Drilled helps keep the rotors cooler, but in my opinion, it is un needed unless there is SEVERE braking in race conditions.
my drilled and slotted rotors are 100x better then stock, and much worth the cost(even though they cost me less then oem rotors) you can never have too good of breaks

also the drilled and slotted both allow the gasses produced during breaking somewhere to go, if you have ever been going somewhat fast and had to slam on the breaks you might have noticed the breaks feel like they are pushing back, that is because of the gasses

Last edited by azmidget91; 06-01-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 PM
I just wanted to throw this in. There are many F150s out there with rear-discs. I'm not saying that the truck in question in this thread has rear-discs, but many do. My 2000 F150 has 4-wheel discs. The only brake-shoes on the truck are inside the rear-brake rotors and they are for the parking brake.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM
The only way to tell for sure is to look at the axle.

Quick Reply: Replacing pads and rotors