Replacing pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing pads and rotors

Ok, just got an 02 f150 4x4, and the brakes are pulsing every now and then. Bought it from the NC mountain area. Figured I would just change them out. Im not a mechanic or anything, but I am capable of doing the work if I had a step by step. So my questions are:

1) Do I have to do all 4, or just the front or back?
2) Do I have to disconnect the caliper?
3) Do I just have to unbolt rotor, slide off, and slide new one on?
4) Am I gonna have to mess with the fluid at all?
5) Any company that you suggest?
6) Would it be cheaper to have the current rotors refinished or whatever?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...m260243016492&

Searched ebay and found these? This a good company?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by JNC995
Ok, just got an 02 f150 4x4, and the brakes are pulsing every now and then. Bought it from the NC mountain area. Figured I would just change them out. Im not a mechanic or anything, but I am capable of doing the work if I had a step by step. So my questions are:

1) Do I have to do all 4, or just the front or back?
2) Do I have to disconnect the caliper?
3) Do I just have to unbolt rotor, slide off, and slide new one on?
4) Am I gonna have to mess with the fluid at all?
5) Any company that you suggest?
6) Would it be cheaper to have the current rotors refinished or whatever?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...m260243016492&

Searched ebay and found these? This a good company?

1. There arent rotors on the rear, its RWD, so theres "shoes" on the rear insted of calipers and rotors.
2.Yes
3.yes
4.not if you keep the rotor at the same hight as it is normally bolted up (suspend it with string)
5. i dont know where you live
6. it depends on there wear pattern, i personally would just replace them. rotors arent that expensive.

an i personally would buy the parts from like napa or autozone, You cant return things as fast via internet.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
With the company, I meant brand. Im gonna go search advance website and see what they have.
So I dont have to do anything to the back then, other than pads maybe?

So quick run through. Remove wheel and tire. Take off caliper (keep connected to hose), remove old pads, unbolt and remove rotor, place new rotor, new pads, put claliper back on, put on tire. Then drive?

Not sure I understand the whole suspending rotor thing. Taking a stab here. When I remove old one, I suspend it until I get new one on and hooked up or something?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
With the company, I meant brand. Im gonna go search advance website and see what they have.
So I dont have to do anything to the back then, other than pads maybe?

So quick run through. Remove wheel and tire. Take off caliper (keep connected to hose), remove old pads, unbolt and remove rotor, place new rotor, new pads, put claliper back on, put on tire. Then drive?

Not sure I understand the whole suspending rotor thing. Taking a stab here. When I remove old one, I suspend it until I get new one on and hooked up or something?
1. to answer your first question, your rear brakes are VERY rarely used, Unless you do brake stands nearly everyday you shouldent have to replace them but once ever 2 or 3 years. If that..Ive had the same shoes on my sisters car sense it was bought new in 2004 an they are still good.

2. As you drive, your pads get smaller, thus you need more fluid to compress the caliper, so you wind up adding fluid to the resv....or it just stays at the min. line. So when you expand the caliper (with a 6in C-clamp) you need to remove the fluid or it will overflow all over your headers (that smells lovely). Make sure you have your fluid resiv. OPEN when you expand the caliper, even if you have already taken out fluid, otherwise your gonna have some serious problems.

3.When you remove the caliper, suspend it as if it were still hooked to the rotor...you know what i mean? tie a sting to it and hang it from your coil spring. An make sure it hangs at the same hight as it would if it was connect. This will prevent air getting into the system and prevent having to bleed the brakes.

Goodluck man. any other questions just post them, An ill be more then happy to help you out if i can.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Suspended
You can check out the brakes I carry, and I can also get other brands if you wish. Stoptech and Centric posi quiet has been a great seller for many customers.

I would stay very far away from ebay rotors, especially ones that are drilled/slotted. Cheap rotors that are drilled incorrectly have a tendancy to crack and ruin the rotor all together. I am running the slotted stoptechs on my truck and LOVE them.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any quesions or are ready to order.

Alon
714-582-3330

Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Once you get your rotors and pads go to www.fordf150.net-howto-

This site will tell you how to do almost everything including brakes..I just did mine last night and it took me about 1/2 hr for both sides....

By the way my 04 Heritage 4X4 has rear rotors as well and they are much cheaper than the front ones....

Old 05-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Paratrooper
Once you get your rotors and pads go to www.fordf150.net-howto-

This site will tell you how to do almost everything including brakes..I just did mine last night and it took me about 1/2 hr for both sides....

By the way my 04 Heritage 4X4 has rear rotors as well and they are much cheaper than the front ones....

I cant get that link to work.

Also, just want to double check before I buy.
I DON'T have to do anything to the rear brakes, or I do????????

Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Suspended

I recommend going for everything all at once, but if your rear brakes are in good shape, theres no need to upgrade them. When you're ready to buy, feel free to give me a call and I'll work out an F150online deal for ya!

Try this link...http://www.fordf150.net/howto/brakerepair.php

Last edited by ModBargains; 05-30-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM

being that you just got the truck i would do them any ways

Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
K, sounds good. Ill throw some new ones on the back. A previous reply said there was "shoes" on the back. So no rotors on back? Im confused.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Suspended
K, sounds good. Ill throw some new ones on the back. A previous reply said there was "shoes" on the back. So no rotors on back? Im confused.
Do you have discs or drums in the back? Drums have the drum (the part you see) and the shoes that are inside of the drum.

If you have the 04 heritage you should have drums, and they probably dont need to be replaced. If you have the new style you have discs, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them.

I bought new drums and shoes for my 01 recently and when i pulled out the old ones they still had alot of life left in them. Drums last for a long time.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
This is for my 02 F150 with 90k miles. So its gonna be drums.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Suspended
This is for my 02 F150 with 90k miles. So its gonna be drums.
For some reason I thought you had an 04... must have misread.

Your best bet is to pull off the drum in the back and check the pad left. There is no point in guessing whether or not you need it.

I have both stoptech and powerslot rotors for your truck in stock right now, and I have had great experiences with the centric posi quiet pads. Just let me know whenever you're ready to order

Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I had 04 on my profile. Just changed it. I still have an 04, but its for sale.
Which brand do you recommend? The brembo, stop tech, or the powerslot?
What exactly am I looking for when I check the pad? Never even looked at a drum brake before.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:26 PM
you tell us, the guy who said you have shoes because you are rwd is an idiot, look back there and see if the rear brakes look like the front with a rotor

here is a drum brake

if it looks like that then the "shoe" is the brake pad that is inside of that drum(which is kinda like the rotor)

Quick Reply: Replacing pads and rotors