need front calipers, here's my choice

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need front calipers, here's my choice

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...0&so=0&begin=1
I noticed today a little pull and shimmy in the wheel. Got home, grabbed the temp gauge and checked rotors. 3 of 4 where about 90* and the drivers side front was a hot 280* max! I let it cool down and pulled the wheel and caliper. One piston is stuck open with both piston seals torn. I cleaned everything up, greased the slides and put back together as with the other side. The pass side looks good except one piston has a slightly torn seal. I am going to replace both but I don't know which ones from my link to get. I'm not looking for the bargain, but more on reliability. Advance Auto is my local parts store I frequently shop. I need to check my build date, so I will edit this in a few minutes. Help me decide Build date - 1/05

Last edited by j2h1; 05-30-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: build date
Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive used these remanufactured calipers on several different cars and never had a problem.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
I must have waited 'till the last minute. I just went over to Advance this morn, and ordered the front calipers. They will be in tomorrow. I got home (a few miles away) and opened the door to be overwhelmed by smoke. I grabbed my halotron extinguisher and waited for the smoke to subside. I hope nothing is damaged from this (I didn't have to use the halotron). I just don't know if its safe to drive to work tonight. I can use the parents car to run to Advance but I have to stay for a meeting tomorrow and can't borrow the car tonight. long story not so short, can I try driving slowly tonight, or would I do more damage? My work is less than 5 minutes away.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is still locked you will do more damage to it. Are you doing the pads and rotors as well? Since the brakes have been so overheated the rotor is going to be glazed and the truck wont stop as well as it should or you will have a pull because one side is performing better than then the other.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Ok, that sucks, I just wanted to do calipers right now then pads and rotors maybe next week. Guess that throws a wrench in the spokes. This truck is becoming the money pit my ranger was. thanks for the resonses, I was getting worried.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 PM
not as bad as I thought

I just did the front brakes yesterday. First I just got the calipers ($250 incl. $80 core for both). When I picked them up I was lucky because they had the rotors in stock. I bought the rotors for $148/front two. I also bought caliper paint just because. I got home and dug in by painting the calipers. Then I got to taking off the old calipers since they where stuck and I figured they would need coaxing to get off. The paint was dry by then so I started putting the rotors on when I noticed some deep groovage. I got a ride to get pads, fluid and a one man bleeder. The pads where also in stock for $42/front set. After I got the drivers side done (the worst side) I did the pass side quick with no problems! I realize now I should have bled the pass side first then the drivers but I have to go back in to repaint and rebleed. I got fluid on the fresh paint. It wasn't as bad for being my first time changing rotors and calipers. I have done pad changes on my Rangers before. I felt pretty good for myself. I took a small break-in/joy ride and everything felt good. I noticed on my scangauge that the mpg is better . I will get pic L8R.

Cardone Calipers - $250 minus $80 core - limited lifetime
Wearever Rotors - $148/both - 2 yr. replacement
Bendix Pads - $42/all four - limited lifetime
Fluid - $5 - 32 oz
Bleeder - $7.25
Paint kit - $17
Labor - $0 just my time
Total - $469.25

Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM
My 04 is dragging on the drivers side only,,, I will pull the wheel and take a look.
I am the original owner and have not had any problems. Changed the pads a couple of times. Any ideas?

Thanks

Quick Reply: need front calipers, here's my choice