Drum parking brake removal, 1997 8.8 rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drum parking brake removal, 1997 8.8 rear

OK, still working on the 2002 9.75 disc-equipped rear-end swap, and am currently trying to get things disconnected to prep for the removal of the 8.8 drum rear-end.

My current question is:

Where is the best point in the parking brake cable set-up to disconnect it? Where the cables are pressed together at that little hollow union under the cab door? At the pedal itself? Where the two cables meet at the bracket and branch off for each side?

Once I've got the best point TO disconnect it, what's the trick to doing it?

I'm going to be getting another T-50 socket to remove the box so things are easier to get at, so the box will be out of the way for this.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I also would like to hear from others. I disconnected/reconnected where the lone cable splits into 2. I pulled hard the lone cable and was able to get enough slack. But I don't like the method. There's gotta be a better one.

EDIT: 97 drum brake 8.8

Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, I was just doing some more work on it today, and VERY easily removed the cable from the 9.75's discs, but it doesn't look like the same method will work with the drums. There's some kind of fitting that goes into the drum housing, as opposed to the simple latch set-up on the discs.

Also having a rough time getting the front two bolts out of the bed of the box to remove it. Going to have to try using a vice-grip on the bottom of the bolts--at least they're easy to get at. I'll have my daughter start taking digital pics of the project as soon as I get the box off.

So far, things are looking good for the swap.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i personally havnt had my axle out, but i had to remove them from the T bracket where it turns from one to two. my trick was a 1/2" deep dish 1/2" drive socket. pushed it over the clips to release, popped right out.

i know on the ranger 7.5 / 8.8 the cable is pretty easy to remove from inside the housing with needle nose and flat head screwdriver.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 AM
was the swap easy, im trying to do the same from an 98 f150 drum to a 9.75 disc. what else is needed and did you finally finish and is everything working. thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Drum parking brake removal, 1997 8.8 rear