New Tires, problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires, problems...

02 FXR Srew

Bought used with 4 different 265/70/17's on her. (Deuller and Wranglers)
Rode smooth both slow and at highway speeds.

Put new BFG AT KO 285/70/17's on. Seemed to be ok below 55 or so. But, then i had to hit the hghway. At about 60 the front end feels like it's bucking vertically as opposed to a side to side shimmy. Gets more frequent and harder at 70.

Due to not having replacement lugs when Discount Tire removed the lock lugnut from each wheel, also without the special lug key, each wheel is missing 1 lugnut for the time being until i get replacements. But i wouldn't think this would cause such a problem as i am experiencing.

I'm going back this evening to Discount Tire and assume they will try to rebalance each tire.

Anybody have opinions on what may be happening or experienced this before?

Thanks! I hope to go there tonight with some ammo or ideas.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
The BFG's that you are using are load range D they are a much stiffer tire so you will feel more of the road though them, this might just take some getting used too!

Other problems might be, Bad belts in the tire, unblalanced, missing lug nut (i had to)

But anyways Locking lugs are pointless IMO if someone wants you wheres they are gonna take them. Id get a lug nut on those things instead of driving around on 4! This could vary well be your problem.

Just think of it this way! With 5 lugs tight all around you have equal pressure on the whole wheel, Now if you only have 4 lugs tight theres one lug thats loose and can wiggle. A wiggle at 70 MPH will deffinitely be noticed!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I used to work at Discount Tire and the lug nut isn't going to cause that. I could be a bad belt or a busted bead. You will probably find out its just balancing issue though.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I hear ya on the lug, but wasn't sure. I'll have them rebalanced and stick any kind of temp lug that will fit for now. I believe they actually found to conical seating lugs, 1 on 2 different wheels. So that would mean 2 wheels have only 3 correct lugs...they didn't crank down the conical ones so as to not damage the rim itself. Might be the problem.
Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok, thanks for the input. I wonder what tire pressure i should be running in these given they are heavier load range. Not sure if full PSI is overkill, you?

Old 06-02-2008, 03:11 PM
id run 5 PSI lower than max.. its kinda a feel thing...

And yes 1 lug will cause problems, tell my buddy that after he sheared all 5 lugs off his 95 F150 because the 4wheelparts guy told him he'd be alright with only 4 lugs. And also if you ony have 3 Correct lugs they might not be as tight as you want them since you didnt want to damage the wheel...

Id say fix the lug problem then see what happens. Driving around like that is danagerous i dont care what a guy that "used to work at discount tire says"

Theres five bolts there for a reason... TO PUT FIVE LUG NUTS ON so you have 5 points of pressure.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, hopefully get to the bottom of this tonight. I'm not to keen on the idea of sheering lugs.
My last ride before this was a Jeep Wrangler. I plopped on 32 X 10.50's on it and she rode like a dream still. So hoping to get ot the bottom of this issue soon seeing how i only jumped up one size with these tires. I know I should "feel" the diff in treads and tire size but shouldn't be bucking on me at 70.
Thanks again!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
theres definitely a problem somewhere, my 285/75/16's drive like a dream. i can let go of the wheel and it tracks straight for awhile.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Thats why i was surprised. Doing 50, the ride and alignment were fine. Doing 70, entirely different story. Mostly felt like inline jerking on n off but frequent.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by TazzRider
Thats why i was surprised. Doing 50, the ride and alignment were fine. Doing 70, entirely different story. Mostly felt like inline jerking on n off but frequent.
i dont drive over 65 so i couldnt tell you how mine handles there.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM
One lug will not cause that kind of bounce your referring to. You have another problem. I didn't know you had some mix and match lug nuts either but yes, if you have that kinda mix, you need to get all those lugs on there and matching. Miss matching is much worse than one lug missing. You can drive on 4 good lugs for a week till the stealership gets you some replacement or you buy locks. Your wheel isn't going to just fall off. There are 5 lugs and removing one is not going to cause the rest to shear off. Think about the logistics of that. That means the entire assembly is relying on one lug to prevent a total failure? No way.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
you drive around with 4 lugs, ill keep 5 on mine at all times, but this is why id dont buy things from discount tire, you couldnt pay someone there to give you good information!

And when you say theres no way that on bolt is going to cause failure, eventually it will.

Might be a day, it might take a week or it could take a year but eventually the extra play in the wheel will put too much stress on another lug sheering it off then you are driving on 3 and IMO those 3 will sheer before you make it to where you are going.

I know what you are going to say, so ill go ahead and say it

"1 lug nut isnt going to cause anymore play in the wheel if the other 4 are tight" future quote BLUE150

The truth a wheel with 5 tightly torqued lug nuts is going to be tighter and more stable than the same wheel with 4 tightly torqued lugnuts.

Each lug nut plays off its opposite if one is loose then eventually they will all get loose and/or fail, and IMO thats way too dangerous to say "you can drive with 4 for a week"

Im done i think my point was made to the OP.

Good luck with the problem man!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If those are a load range D with a max of 65, 45 psi is plenty for them and will handle anything your truck is rated for. When you have them balanced, make sure they do a road force balance to make sure the tires are not out of round.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Actually, I did some research and it looks like I am wrong. Yes, I said wrong. I can admit that. I found this on the internet. This is where I found the article below.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/r...emergency1.asp

So, yes, he should have all 5 on there. However, as you can see below, one missing is not a dire emergency but it should be taken care of as soon as possible. His missing lugnut accompanied by the mix and match is a bad cobination and should be fixed.

"Loss of lug nuts on the wheels

If you notice a wobble in a wheel or hear a rattling noise coming from a wheel, especially at low speeds, the problem may be loose lug nuts or a lug nut that has come off the wheel stud and is rattling inside the hub cap or wheel cover. This problem is often caused by improper tightening of the nuts when a tire is replaced, or by faulty lug bolt threads that will not retain the lug nuts tightly.

Take care of such a problem immediately before you lose a wheel. Pull off the road, display warning devices, remove the hub caps or wheel covers, and check the tightness of all the lug nuts. Tighten all the nuts that may be loose. If all the lug nuts are tight, the sound could be caused by a faulty or burned-out bearing. Drive cautiously to the nearest service facility for repairs.

If you've already lost more than one nut from a wheel, borrow one nut (no more) from another wheel so that you can tighten the wheels adequately. Then, at your first opportunity, replace all the missing lug nuts.

If two or more of the wheel studs are too badly stripped to permit tightening of the nuts, leave the vehicle beside the road and get help. Have all faulty lug nuts or lugs replaced as necessary. "

Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Whats a "road forced balance" consist of? I don't know if Discount has the capability or what is involved.

AN UPDATE: They rebalanced the tires, then came and told me they were indeed out of balance, tried blaming the kid who did the original balance. So off i go and hit the highway again...same results but a little less intense...something is still not right. Back i go tomorrow...ugh.

Quick Reply: New Tires, problems...