TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS question

Going to keep my OEM's in my OEM wheels/Tires.
Probably will get a new set for my new wheels/tires.

#1. will any TMPS do, or are some better than others. ?

#2. how does the light in the truck know the difference in
air between the stockers and the aftermarket. Im assuming my new tires being larger are gonna hold more air. Will I have to reset something when switching back and forth from stockers to aftermarket?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will have to have it programmed between the 2 sets when ever you swap. That at far as I have seen, means a trip to the dealer.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
You will have to have it programmed between the 2 sets when ever you swap. That at far as I have seen, means a trip to the dealer.
No crap..
So that means a appointment to hook it up, or is it something they can do real quick like during a oil change.
I can run them without the sensors right, the light is just gonna burn.

So now im wondering if I should just take them out of my stockers, and have them banded in my new wheels and run the stockers without, which will only be on my truck in the winter months.

Hmmmmm

Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt even bother with my tpms sensors, i drive 10 miles to work and the sensor light dont even blink. if i go on a trip it does, but oh well. just another stupid feature for lazy people

Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
No crap..
So that means a appointment to hook it up, or is it something they can do real quick like during a oil change.
I can run them without the sensors right, the light is just gonna burn.

So now im wondering if I should just take them out of my stockers, and have them banded in my new wheels and run the stockers without, which will only be on my truck in the winter months.

Hmmmmm
Yes you can have them banded to the new wheels. As far as resetting, I believe they have to hook it up to reprogram. Right now, I also have 2 sets of wheels, winter and summer. I just let the light burn.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Yes you can have them banded to the new wheels. As far as resetting, I believe they have to hook it up to reprogram. Right now, I also have 2 sets of wheels, winter and summer. I just let the light burn.
Well since the reprogramming thing is gonna be a issue, I guess I will leave it be. Im not gonna pay to have to reset the monitor every time.

Guess what I need to decide now is whether to have the stock sensors put on my new wheels since more than likely I will be running those longer than the winter tires. Tire guy says bands will cost me $44.00 for the set. Does that sound reasonable ?

On another thought if the TMPS only measures low tire pressure. At what point does the stock tire have low pressure? 30-20-15 in order for the light to come on?
So if one went with aftermarket sensors for the aftermarket wheels and you dont reset the computer the light isnt going to come on until that tire gets to the low pressure of the stock settings right?

Last edited by FX4Screwdude; 08-15-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
If you get aftermarket sensors, the light will always be on as I would be very surprised if the sensors can be programmed to the TPMS system.

The light comes on also for a system fault. Bad sensor, getting no signals, etc.

The setting for low pressure is set depending upon the load range of the tires that it cam with from Ford. If yours cam with P series tires, the sensor would come on somewhere around 28. If it came with LR C tires, it would be higher.
What load range and max pressure are the tires that you are buying? The sensors are only good for pressures up to 50 psi. If you got a LR E tire, you would have to run them right at the max the sensor could handle.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM
LT tire, max 65 psi.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Suspended
44 bucks aint bad for a set of bands. but what about the cradles? i got a set of bands and cradles off ebay gor 66 bucks shipped.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
LT tire, max 65 psi.
Then you would be running those at about 45, within the 50 psi max.

As far as the cradles, they can be transferred to the new wheels. Online the bands are not reusable.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor
You can buy a Ford Fatory Fob that reprograms your TPMS for $11.00

Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by TascaFordParts
You can buy a Ford Fatory Fob that reprograms your TPMS for $11.00

If I am not mistaken, that only resets the system when you rotate tires on vehicles that have different tire pressure recommendations between front and rear. Not for different sets of sensors.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor
It is used to retrain the system. So it should work when you put new wheels on the truck.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by TascaFordParts
It is used to retrain the system. So it should work when you put new wheels on the truck.
Everything I have read states that the system needs to know which sensors are valid for that vehicle, and each sensor is coded. Otherwise, just parking next to another vehicle would be a problem.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Suspended
yes the sensors need to be programmed by the dealer, that fob dont retrain the system, its just resets/clears the errors that come up from rotating.
"online the bands are not reusable" what do you mean kingfish?

Quick Reply: TPMS question