Report on KM2's

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think we're on the same page. According to tire rack: The Mud-Terrain T/A KM "DT" features BFGoodrich's TriGard three-ply polyester carcass construction, while a rim protector provides wheel and sidewall protection.

Heres a pic of my tires(The best pic I have that shows tread design)

Heres the old KM

Still haven't found where your getting your info

Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The KM2s are stupid quiet for a mud terrain. My tires are just as quiet as my friends 35" nitto ATs on his lifted chevy. My truck has a boatload of sound deadener in it, and my tires/exhaust sound like stock almost. Roll the windows down and its a different story

But seriously, the KM2s are damn quiet. Everyone who rides in my truck says the exact same thing: "holy chit these tires are quiet. Are you sure they are MTs?"

Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 AM

Yes they are MTs...And they are noisy. My Dad and Brother have bfg ATs on there 150s and they both are dead quite. Cruising at 45 in my truck and I can hardly hear the sound of my diesel. And btw personally I don't see this as a bad thing I was hoping I was going to be able to hear them I'm just kind of dumbfounded at the moment because all of the literature I've found so far is telling me the opposite if what silver is saying.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by FL4X4
I don't think we're on the same page. According to tire rack: The Mud-Terrain T/A KM "DT" features BFGoodrich's TriGard three-ply polyester carcass construction, while a rim protector provides wheel and sidewall protection.

Heres a pic of my tires(The best pic I have that shows tread design)

Heres the old KM

Still haven't found where your getting your info
We're on the same page, if not I'll get you there . BFG's all terrains, old KM mud terrains (to include your DT) and the new KM2's feature BFGoodrich's TriGard three-ply polyester carcass construction and rim protector that prvoides wheel and sidewall protection as well as twin steel belts, while the new KM2's (your tires do not have these features) feature Krawler-TEK Sidewall (33% stronger then the old KM) and more transverse and linear flex zones, etc. I realize the tread pattern looks like the KM2/krawler but your tire carcass is the same as the older KM model. Here is a link to the old KM http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...a-km/1152.html look at the tread pattern on the 255/75R17, it states KM-DT, that is what you have. The BFG KM-DT (what you have) was introduced before the KM2 and while it features a similar tread pattern (it's not exact and I'm not talking just the siping difference) the tire carcass and construction is the same of the old KM

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 11-06-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Translated for easy reading: you have KM2/krawler tread but your internal tire carcass/construction is that of the old KM model. Understand

Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 AM

My tires are 335/55r22 found at the bottom of this list located at this link:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...-km2/3930.html
And the tread pattern for that size clearly says KM2, perhaps this is what was throwing me off.(Very confusing IMO)

Nows heres where my information conflicts yours, these are the exact tires I bought from tirerack located at this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....in+T%2FA+KM+DT
It clearly states in the second paragraph that these tires do in fact include the twin steel belts and BFGoodrich's TriGard three-ply polyester carcass construction...am I interpreting this wrong?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 AM
My tires are 335/55r22 found at the bottom of this list located at this link:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...-km2/3930.html
And the tread pattern for that size clearly says KM2, perhaps this is what was throwing me off.(Very confusing IMO)

Nows heres where my information conflicts yours, these are the exact tires I bought from tirerack located at this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....%2FA+KM+DT
It clearly states in the second paragraph that these tires do in fact include the twin steel belts and BFGoodrich's TriGard three-ply polyester carcass construction...am I interpreting this wrong?
Holy crap. I know what size tires you have and yes your tire size is located at the bottom of your first link (which I already knew), but that first link is for KM2's which you DO NOT have. Look over on the specs where is says tread pattern and it's reads KM2, your tread pattern is KM-DT (what your second link is) which are not KM2's or the KM2 tire carcass/construction. All BFG's (KO all terrains, KM mud terrains, KM-DT mud terrains, KM2 mud terrains) have twin steel belts and BFGoodrich's TriGard three-ply polyester carcass construction, but yours DO NOT have the KM2 Krawler-TEK sidewall and carcass which is 33% stronger, nor do you have the same liner flex zones of the KM2's, etc. Look beyond the surface, as I am saying your INTERNAL (you can't see it) tire carcass/construction is of the old KM model, not the new KM2's. I'll break it down for you, try this example:

BFG Mud Terrain KM- BFGoodrich's TriGard three-ply polyester carcass construction. You've got this tire carcass/construction

BFG Mud Terrain KM-DT- This is what you have. Similar tread pattern to the KM2 but INTERNAL tire carcass/construction is based upon the old KM model mentioned directly above. When compared to the KM2's, your sidewalls are 33% weaker, don't have the same liner flex zones, as well as a few other minor things that BFG changed when they made the KM2

BFG Mud Terrain KM2- BFGoodrich's Krawler TEK sidewalls and carcass. You don't have this tire carcass/construction, but do have a tread pattern that is similar (that part I think everyone can see )

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....in+T%2FA+KM+DT This is what you have-KM-DT-even though the TREAD looks similar to the KM2 your INTERNAL tire construction is based on the old KM model

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rain+T%2FA+KM2 These are KM2's. Read where is says BFGoodrich's Krawler TEK sidewalls and carcass. The old KM and KM-DT (what you have), once again, DOES NOT have this or the liner flex zones of the new KM2's, as well as a few other minor things that BFG changed when they made the KM2

Does your tread look similar to mine, YES! Are your sidewalls as strong as mine, NO! Do you have the same liner flex zones, NO! Are your tires KM2's, NO! Are they KM-DT, YES! Which DOES NOT have the KM2 Krawler TEK sidewalls and carcass. What YOU have (KM-DT) is a similar KM2 tread but with the old KM sidewalls and tire carcass/construction

KM-DT (what you have) = Similar KM2 outer tread with old KM internal carcass/construction

I don't see how I can break this down any further or repeat myself

Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 AM

Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

LOL @ you guys.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
LOL @ you guys.
I know

Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 AM
k
K, that makes sense and you're good or K, you're still lost in a dark room with no flashlight

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM

nah I got you. Just throws me off because bfg's site has the 335/55r22 listed under the km2 so I just assumed they were km2's.

sorry for bugging you

Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 AM
silver i knew what you were saying the whole time. LOL that i should go buy me some of those KM2's.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by RightTurn
silver i knew what you were saying the whole time. LOL that i should go buy me some of those KM2's.
Haha, yes I suppose that was the whole point of this thread