Abs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Abs

Would low brake fluid cause the ABS light to turn on?

I ask because mine was low I had to pour about 1/2 a pint maybe a little more and I just want to know if that was why my ABS light would turn on sometimes while driving

Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would look at the RABS [ABS] as a different problem from low brake fluid. The occasional ABS light is probably failing sensor and the low fluid is probably worn pads. Do a search on the RABS system for your year truck.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced my rear abs sensor on the top of the diff housing, did the resistance test and it failed, it was cheap and easy to replace. Prompted me to change the rear end dope too as it was good but getting old. It was gunky on the sensor itself so Royal Purple and friction modifier was pumped in.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
low fluid is typically displayed as "brake" not ABS light

ABS light is usually a probably with ABS itself, and your brakes should still be safe and sound mechanically, but may not have ABS assist to reduce stopping distance

Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
low fluid is typically displayed as "brake" not ABS light
Change "typically" to "ALWAYS" and you are spot-on.

Its a federal requirement (FMVSS 135) that the low brake fluid warning is displayed on the dash.

ABS warning is just for the ABS system.

and Torkum is also correct - low brake fluid probably indicates worn pads. Unless its so low that your warning light is on, you don't need to add fluid. If you add fluid, then when you go to put new pads on you'll push the fluid back and overflow the reservoir (unless you suck fluid out first)

A little background on Ford brake fluid reservoirs - for the majority of Ford vehicles they require 4-6 times as much fluid to be held in the reservoir than the federal requirements. So you really don't have to worry if the fluid gets below the max line... that just means that the linings have some wear. Ford requires this large amount of fluid so that the low-brake fluid light never activates during normal operation. Apparently they don't think that today's vehicle owners are capable of adding brake fluid (and they are probably right for the majority of owners)

anyway, now I'm probably rambling and getting off topic... so I'll quit typing!

Quick Reply: Abs