Rotors with Hub Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rotors with Hub Assembly

Hello everyone first time posting, been a member here for about a year I have a 2006 f150 STX 4.6L 4x2.....So I had a question what's with the rotor/hub assembly, I am looking to get my brakes done and I was told that my front and rear rotors and pads need to be replaced at 35,500 miles, I bought the truck new off the lot and have drove it real easy no towing or anything can the rotors need replacing already and also how hard is it to replace the rotors with the hub assembly built into them.....Any suggestions or comments would help thanks......

Old 09-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Try doing a search on the subject for additional info. Should bring up several threads.

First, that is about right for the pads and the factory rotors are pretty thin. Would not surprise me that the rotors need replacing. Pull off the front wheels and take a look. You will see that there is wear where the pads engage the surface or maybe grooves. If not, then they don't need replacing, just replace the pads.

I replaced my pads at 11,000 due to excessive brake dust and had to replace a rotor at 43,000 due a bearing failure, so replaced both rotors at the same time, but used my same pads. The rotor replacement is easy but there is a humongous axle nut to deal with. Not sure, but I think it was a 36mm deep socket. I had to borrow one. That nut is has a crushable plastic lining and Ford says they are to be replaced at about $20 each. I did not as they have a cotter pin thru them. I have 30,000 on them since the replacement and have no problems. I picked up the rotors at a local parts store as I needed them immediately. They were about $150 each, Raybestos brand. I am a believer in Wager ThermoQuiet pads, have about 63,000 on these and they have been perfect.

Hope this helps. It's an easy, straight forward job, if you can do any mechanic work at all. I saved about $600 by doing it myself.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto! I replaced mine at about 35,000 with Raybestos wave rotors on the front with normal pads and the rear with regular rotors and pads. DO NOT use ceramic brake pads with the wave rotors they will warp.

Quick Reply: Rotors with Hub Assembly