Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FX4life
FOR SALE

Off my 2005 FX4:

FX4 front OEM skid plate
Just shoot me an email for prices and pics, or you can PM me.

MattLaw11@gmail.com
From the classifieds

Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabian06SC
Not necessarily, an off road skid plate may look weird on a street truck, but simply put a skid plate shot with some black undercoating and in line with the factory/lowered suspension will keep road debris, roadkill, and small rodents from your engine compartment especially on a lowered truck.

I hate that ugly rubber diffuser thing that goes from the bumper to the crossmember, and i havent had the time but i want to make a sheetmetal plate that will direct air a bit better at the tranny cooler and keep junk from getting up underneath there. i have had the rubber deflector torn off twice now.

Im just saying that a small skid plate will offer benefits on a lowered truck too, well not really a skid plate, more of an underplate air diffuser protecto thingamajig. cant really call it a skid plate lol.
Yep, talking about a skid plate. Your idea doesn't sound bad.....but sounds like more trouble then it's worth. I mean honestly road debris, roadkill, small rodents a sheet of metal in the front of your truck isn't going to keep a rodent from from getting underneath there (there is always the back door ) and is it even a concern to begin with? I can see it now "buy something that's similar to skid plate and keep rats, gerbils and other rodents from having a party under your rig" and debris and roadkill? Seems that if all this was really a problem that uh...I don't know maybe all street vehicles (cars, minivans, etc.) would be running this "air diffuser protecto thingamajig" and if your road debris is that bad then it will just chip off the pretty black undercoating you're talking about and make that pretty street truck look like crap. I will agree and say that the factory rubber piece is junk but just take it off and buy an OEM skid plate or simply take that rubber piece off and call it a day. Time, money and thoughts better spent elsewhere

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 09-09-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 AM
My new boss 330 twentyfoursss

Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 PM

silver it was mainly for humor, but im guessing that you have never had a med size bird crack or go thru the grille and end up doing some nasty work to the condenser, i have also seen squirrels and other small animals do ugly damage to plastic understructures on cars. Thats beside the point on a truck though but we do have the tranny cooler, and a skid plate would help that more than the rubber peice.
Most fwd cars, minivans and pass vehicles DO have plastic diffusers and plates underneath. Go crawl under one one day, you may find your sense of humor down there.
And the neighborhood cats always tend to have parties under my truck, i told them if i have to wake up in the morning and pick up beer cans and cig butts just to get in my truck that im putting a rottweiler in the yard!

I just meant that he doesnt need to run an offroad skid plate to acheive what he wants to do, and my time, money, and thoughts are spent doing something better than that, trust me.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by se7n
My new boss 330 twentyfoursss

thats nice.

Lets see some more

Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are sweet!!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fabian06SC
silver it was mainly for humor, but im guessing that you have never had a med size bird crack or go thru the grille and end up doing some nasty work to the condenser, i have also seen squirrels and other small animals do ugly damage to plastic understructures on cars. Thats beside the point on a truck though but we do have the tranny cooler, and a skid plate would help that more than the rubber peice.
Most fwd cars, minivans and pass vehicles DO have plastic diffusers and plates underneath. Go crawl under one one day, you may find your sense of humor down there.
And the neighborhood cats always tend to have parties under my truck, i told them if i have to wake up in the morning and pick up beer cans and cig butts just to get in my truck that im putting a rottweiler in the yard!

I just meant that he doesnt need to run an offroad skid plate to acheive what he wants to do, and my time, money, and thoughts are spent doing something better than that, trust me.
Yep, I have seen the plastic diffusers under there (much like your trucks rubber one) and that PLASTIC does fine and if sarcasm is under there then I probably will find my sense of humor as well . Also, nothing will stop those small animals from getting under there (including a steel skid plate), if there is a way in they will find it. As far as the medium sized bird, I actually hit one when I had my mach 1 doing 70 and went though under my hood (near where the grille is at) and screwed up my drivers side headlight and a skid plate would have done nothing, you don't mount them that high. Also, I'm guessing you never hit a large sized deer and had it take out the entire front end but maybe if you had a skid plate at the grille, over the hood and maybe just maybe over the front windshield you could have saved the vehicle . Anyway, I just was joking, trying to bring some practicality to your idea, but sounds like you were joking around too, so we were both on the same page to begin with

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 AM
anyone else have pics of their 24's

Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by whiteyF150
i really like that hood

Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Old 09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by thenewbreed
Its all about personal opinion I think.

07fx4silver your truck looks real nice with the look your going with. Myself,I like big chrome wheels and the street look. But I have good taste like you so I will not make it look obnoxious like other chrome rides I have seen.
THANX ALOT.............

Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
THANX ALOT.............

Trying to understand why you quoted me here.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by thenewbreed
Trying to understand why you quoted me here.
I have excessive amounts of chrome and i hate it. but i have to deal with it for now till i can replace some chrome with painted parts

Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
I have excessive amounts of chrome and i hate it. but i have to deal with it for now till i can replace some chrome with painted parts
Dont lie you know you like the BLING! lol yours is actually on the borderline between looks good and almost too much. If you take the door divider chrome off you would have just the right amount!

PTM is way better though, all the cool kids are doing it

And silver im usually good at picking up on sarcasm, that must have just gone right over, or under, the skid plate anyway... lol

but yea i would just as soon bolt in a factory skid and call it a day.

Whitey that truck looks kick ***, is that the longer bed on there?