Tire Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Selection Help

I've done tons of searching on this site (getting good with the search engine), but there are so many choices for tires - hoping for some opinions on my specific needs.

'08 XLT SuperCab with 5.5' box (133" wheelbase).
2" leveling kit being installed next week.

The truck came stock with the chome-clad 17" wheels w/ 235/75-17 tires.

I have a set of stock 18" Lariat wheels I am going to use.

This is a hard road truck only - might see a dirt road every once in a while, but no off-roading at all.
I want a tire that is very good on wet roads. A big plus would be a good snow tire also.
Also, it is very important to me to try to retain as much MPG as I can.

Through searches here, it looks like the Wrangler Silent Armour might be a good choice - but still looking for opinions.

As for size, I would just like to fill our my wheel wells a bit more - I don't need the biggest tire I can get. Also don't want to go too wide for MPG purposes.

Any suggestions for tire brand/style and size?

Edit: One tire I am looking at is a Cooper Discoverer CTS in a 265/70-18

Last edited by stormtech; 09-26-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bfg all terrain i got love em great all around tire not loud on road and as long as i dont have the pedal to the floor they have excelent traction.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plus, they will easily last 60,000 miles.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Ok - I looked at tirerack for the BFG -

When you say the all terrain, are you talking about the T/A KO?
That is too aggressive a tire for me.

Or are we talking about the Long Trail / Rugged Trail?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:07 AM
The BFG will do better on snow than the Goodyear. The Goodyear will do better on dry and wet roads than the BFG. I have both. The Goodyear for summer and the BFG for winter. My guess at this point is as far as mileage, they will come out even. I do not like on the Goodyear, how thin the black rubber is over the white for the lettering. Scuff a curb and the white underneath shows through. If you do go with the Goodyear's, I suggest getting black walls.
Also remember, the bigger and wider you go, the lower your gas mileage will be. I dropped about 1-1.5 MPG when I went from the 235/75R17 to the 275/70R17 (equivalent diameter to the 275/65R18). And yes I did have my speedometer corrected for the larger size.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks kingfish - that is the kind of info I am looking for. Nice comparison of the two tires.

As far as the gas mileage goes, that is why I was thinking of going with a 265/70-18 tire - a little more narrow than the 275 - hoping that would maybe help with the rolling resistance. Plus, a little taller tire that might fill my wheel wells just a bit more.

Am I thinking right?
Or would this size look goofy........?

Old 09-27-2008, 06:32 PM
You will still probably lose a little mileage, going from 235 to 265. Also the 235 is a P series tire. I would suggest an LT tire for the new. P series tires are at their limits on a light truck, except maybe on something like a Ranger. A load range C is what I am running for both sets of my tires. At 40 psi, which is what Ford recommends for OE tires that are LR C. Do not run them at 35. If LR D or E the psi would be higher. Also a narrower tire will do better in snow, while a wider tire will do better on dry and in mud.
For a 265/70R17, you do not need the leveling kit, but will not hurt to use it if you like the look. Only thing you have to make sure of is that the angles do not get too sever causing problems with the front suspension and cause problems with the CV boots.

The BFG AT comes in an 265/70R17 (LR C or E) tire and a 265/65R18 (LR E).

The Goodyear comes in a 265/70R17 (LR C or E) and a 265/70R18 in a P series extra load tire.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks again for your insight kingfish - you've been very helpful with my decision making for sure.

Since this truck is my daily driver and don't haul anything, I think I am going to stay with a 'P' tire.

I feel better now with my size decision.

I'm down to the Wrangler Silent Armor and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695.

And yes, I am putting a 2" leveling kit on this coming week. The rake on my truck looks worse than most because of my short wheelbase - I can't stand it - looks like a 2WD truck.....!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Just some more info, if you do go for P series tires. The load carrying ability of those tires is only about 90% of the number marked on the sidewall when used on a light truck application. Your axle ratings are about 4k, so buy accordingly.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I hear what you are saying -

Just don't want to loose the nice 'ride' that I have being this is a daily hard-road driver.

Would I see a big difference in ride going from the 'P' to an "LT" with a load range 'C'?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Going from p to an LT LR C, there will be a little firmer and harsher ride. However, in my opinion, that is more than offset in things like cornering, durability, and load carrying ability. To get rid of the harsher ride, you do not want to lower tire pressure, as that can be very dangerous.
Again, IMO, the LT tire is worth it. In fact I got rid of my P series tires at 1k. I personally do not like the idea of P series tires on a light truck, as they are right at the limits of the tire. Also the sidewall is much more flexible, allowing for tuck under in the turns.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I have a 2008 XL with 235 75 17, but its a long bed. I bought a set of new chrome clad wheels for $99 from a tire dealer in Clarion PA to replace the painted steel wheels that came on it. Good deal!
Right now I plan to buy 4 Firestone Destination AT tires for $125 each. A lot of good posts on this tire and a good value. Supose to have good winter traction & hi milage. Going to stay with 235 75 17.
I think the smaller tire get better MPG. That's important today!
Tirerack.com rates this tire in the top 5 for my truck!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Well I'm glad you brought this up about the 'P' vs 'LT' kingfish.

As I got to thinking about your opinions, I remebered that I always had 'LT' tires on my previous pick-ups. I really don't know why I was hung up on the 'P' tire for my new truck........

Thinking back, when I bought my '95 F-150 new, it had 15" 'P' tires on it that lasted only ~20K, then put 31x10.5 'LT' tires on it and never looked back.

I don't mean to be a pain about this, but a tire purchase is a huge deal for me - something that costs upwards to $1K, and something that I have to drive on for years. Just trying to make the best decision.

I certainly appreciate your help!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
too aggresive, there not as bad as they look, i cant wait to order procomp xterrains 60,000 not a chance behind the blower

Old 09-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech
Well I'm glad you brought this up about the 'P' vs 'LT' kingfish.

As I got to thinking about your opinions, I remebered that I always had 'LT' tires on my previous pick-ups. I really don't know why I was hung up on the 'P' tire for my new truck........

Thinking back, when I bought my '95 F-150 new, it had 15" 'P' tires on it that lasted only ~20K, then put 31x10.5 'LT' tires on it and never looked back.

I don't mean to be a pain about this, but a tire purchase is a huge deal for me - something that costs upwards to $1K, and something that I have to drive on for years. Just trying to make the best decision.

I certainly appreciate your help!
Believe me you are not a pain. The best way to get answers is ask those who have done the same.
I can not say that a P series will not last as long mileage wise, but they definitely would not last as long in harsh service. Also if you do any towing or heavy hauling near the limits of the truck, an LT tire to me is a must.

Quick Reply: Tire Selection Help