Best tire for snow/ice/mud on oem rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best tire for snow/ice/mud on oem rims

I want to replace the Rugged Trails on my '08 FX4 with a more aggressive tire for the winter. I live in Saskatchewan and need to drive 20 miles to and from my shop every day on snow, ice, gravel and mud (sometimes all in the same day). I've searched this site for suggestions but it seems everyone wants bigger tires and aftermarket wheels. I figure while I'm at it I might as well buy a tire that looks cool too...

Old 09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by 8iron
I want to replace the Rugged Trails on my '08 FX4 with a more aggressive tire for the winter. I live in Saskatchewan and need to drive 20 miles to and from my shop every day on snow, ice, gravel and mud (sometimes all in the same day). I've searched this site for suggestions but it seems everyone wants bigger tires and aftermarket wheels. I figure while I'm at it I might as well buy a tire that looks cool too...
I might will go with FIRESTONE DESTINATION A/T in a month, they got good reviews at tirerack, and they are not expensive. My stock -275/65/18 , not sure that i will go bigger size as i wish (my mechanic suggest stick to original size so it doesn't affect speed sensors).
I"m looking forward to get some advices and opinions regarding tire exchange for my original 18"
THX!

Old 09-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
The BFG TA/KO is always a good choice, say a 285x70x17 or 285x65x18 depending on what size wheels you have.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Firestone Destination A/T's are great in wet grass, mud, snow, and gravel (get LT's if you're in gravel a lot) They aren't too expensive, quite for an A/T, and last well. In my humble opinion the look good too.

Oh yeah...they do fine on dry pavement as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
The BFG TA/KO is always a good choice, say a 285x70x17 or 285x65x18 depending on what size wheels you have.
Thought about the BFG's as they are the easiest to get around here but they are also the most expensive and I have heard that they are not as good in the snow as they are in mud and sand.
I like the Terra Grapplers as well so I am hoping someone here with experience in the snow with either tire can offer some insight...

Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BFG AT are better in snow than in mud. The MT would be the reverse. Also for snow the narrower the better and for mud the wider the better.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, you want your cake and you want to eat it too??? There is no "best" tire for all of those conditions. You're going to have to get a tire that's 'pretty good' in all of those conditions or great in one or the other. For that bill, just about any modern all terrain tire is going to do very, very well. I'd find the most agressive one I could get. Nitto Terra Grappler, Mickey Thompson ATZ, BFG A/T, etc, etc. Pick the one you like the looks of the best and it will by all accounts do the job.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM
What Galaxy said X2.

I just like Firestone Destinations because there are very quite for an A/T and the expense factor.

When it come to A/T tires you're going to get many opinions around here...and most will probably be recommending BFG A/T's. They are great tires no doubt.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by marlin39d
Firestone Destination A/T's are great in wet grass, mud, snow, and gravel (get LT's if you're in gravel a lot) They aren't too expensive, quite for an A/T, and last well. In my humble opinion the look good too.

Oh yeah...they do fine on dry pavement as well.

[IMG][/IMG]
YES!!
I'll go for DESTINATION A/T
I like the price and tread, the only thing i dont like - white letters , but i think they can be flipped

Do you know if i can put Destination M/T' s on my stock 18' weels?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
According to their website they only make one size Destination M/T in 18" diameter...and it's a whopper.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...roduct_ID=1058

Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I have the destination a/t and they are ok just wouldn't get too far off pavement with them if I were you.. I'm fixing to go with the 305/70R18 mickey thompson atz, great looking tire and more aggressive tread pattern.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by jwillfx4
I have the destination a/t and they are ok just wouldn't get too far off pavement with them if I were you.. I'm fixing to go with the 305/70R18 mickey thompson atz, great looking tire and more aggressive tread pattern.
i agree they look more agressive, but imho i will get further wearing destenations

Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I know I really don't have a review, but just input. I'll be getting some 31x10.5xR15 Toyo Open Country A/T's within a few days. Just to throw something other than BFG A/T's and firestone out there.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor
DON'T buy an AT tire to give you winter traction. Buy a snow tire. The rubber compound of a snow will give you far better grip on ice and hardpack than an AT will. AT tires get hard when they are cold and don't provide an advantage on ice.

Please give me a call to discuss if you'd like. I can ship up there as well.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
DON'T buy an AT tire to give you winter traction. Buy a snow tire. The rubber compound of a snow will give you far better grip on ice and hardpack than an AT will. AT tires get hard when they are cold and don't provide an advantage on ice.

Please give me a call to discuss if you'd like. I can ship up there as well.
Yes winter tires might be a bit better in snow, but because of the soft compound you will go through 2-3 sets for every one of a set of AT tires. The ATs are just fine for everything I have ever been through, including over 12" of snow.

Quick Reply: Best tire for snow/ice/mud on oem rims