2003 F150 Complete Brake Service & Still Squeals

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 F150 Complete Brake Service & Still Squeals

I just did an entire replacement of the front and back brake pads and rotors on my 2003 F150. All component metal to metal surfaces were cleaned of rust and lubricated. I have taken apart and rechecked the new components and installation and everything looks great. I am experiencing a squeal after about 20 minutes at highway speeds, i.e. after something gets warmed up. Any ideas of where to look next? Possibly front or rear bearings? Any ideas on what to look at next and how to diagnose would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM
A squeal when you brake??? Or does it squeal all the time?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
It squeals all the time, when brakes applied as well as when applying the parking brake while moving. Like I said it does not start until I drive at highway speeds for 10-20 minutes. It is not a loud squeal, more like you would expect from a belt squeal. The squeal follows rotation & speed, i.e. you can hear the change in revolutions & sound volume as speed increases/decreases.

I have also replaced the front wheel bearing assembly on the side that it is coming from so I don't think it would be that but possible, it has been about a year. Would rear bearings make any sound like that? Is there a way to diagnose rear bearings without disassembly?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:39 PM
It doesn't sound like a brake problem. If it were brakes that were squealing I would expect it to stop when you apply the brakes, or to only sound when you apply the brakes. If it squeals not matter what you do with the brakes then its most likely something else.

As such, I'm not sure what it would be. I'd take it to a dealer or other mechanic.

The one good thing is that since it is continuous the mechanic should be able to replicate the issue.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
did you use metallic pads? if so then that may be why.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes, Metallic pads do squeel, take my word for it, but only when braking unless the caliper is stuck? My other thing is on the fronts, there are these steel formed sliders the pads sit into on the caliper bracket. On them, you will see little tabs, fold them so they dont slide themselves into the rotor. Had that happen too. If not that, look into some bearings and stuff cuz it doesn't sound like brakes anymore.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
knucklehead,I have the exact same problem.I have a squeal after 15-20 minutes highway driving,get off highway drive down quiet road take foot off gas no braking squeal,squeal,like a fan belt coming out of my right rear wheel.One thing I do notice is the brake drum on the right side is much,much more hot than the left side.If you find anything out please let me know and I'll do the same,don't want to get stranded on the way to my Deer stand.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by SHAKEY
knucklehead,I have the exact same problem.I have a squeal after 15-20 minutes highway driving,get off highway drive down quiet road take foot off gas no braking squeal,squeal,like a fan belt coming out of my right rear wheel.One thing I do notice is the brake drum on the right side is much,much more hot than the left side.If you find anything out please let me know and I'll do the same,don't want to get stranded on the way to my Deer stand.
It sounds like your right brake is dragging. You should get that fixed ASAP.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you MK, I'm going to get it checked this weekend and I'll post results.The noise it makes is exactly like a fan belt not brakes,with the drum being real hot it makes sense to check the brakes.Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Check for something loose/broken in the emergency brake. My pass. side e-brake just took a s#^t and it started with a squeal which graduated to a scary scraping/thumping/banging noise. The e-brake shoes are metal and housed behind the dust cover. just a suggestion, good luck........

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 Complete Brake Service & Still Squeals