Need new tires before the snow flies

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new tires before the snow flies

I currently have BFG Rugged Terrain 275/65R18 tires on my truck and getting close to 59,000 miles. As far as I know they are the OEM tires. They don't have a lot of tread left and should probably be replaced before winter.

I was thinking about getting the BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Is that a good choice or would you suggest something else?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
grew up in Michigan and on past vehicles I had always ran the K/Os for winter tires. IMO they make for great snow tires. I ran 35x12.50s on a 79 F150 9" lift 460 and a set on my 97 F350 4" lift 460. No matter how much or how little snow or ice I never had any trouble + a few tractor weights in the bed help. Drifted a lot of snow with them too.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's will provide far more grip than the BFG TA in snow and rain. I'd recommend giving them a look.

Give me a call if I can help.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's will provide far more grip than the BFG TA in snow and rain. I'd recommend giving them a look.

Give me a call if I can help.
Are the Revo's a good year round tire?

I was considering buying a set of winter tires as well but really don't want to spend the money for two sets of tires.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Another question. What is the biggest tire I can put on my stock rims and stock ride height?

I'm guessing 285/65R18.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Nitto's Terra Grappler has turned out to be a lot better tire than i originally thought it would be. I had a hard time spinning them in the snow last year, Also, i would really recomend the Yokohama Geolander AT. We sold a tons of them when i was working in a tire store

Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor
The thing about the Revo is the rubber compound. The Uni-T compound of the tire makes it better than almost anything out there in the rain. Tested and proven. The same compound makes them great in the snow. The AQ-2 (dual layer) rubber also keeps them soft as they wear down. When other tires are 50% worn and heat-cycled out, these are still soft and gripping. They cost more but in the last half of their life it's worth it. I'm on my second set and they have done outstanding in both rain and snow.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Red face

I concur with Damon on the Revo's. I had them on my '03 Scab and will purchase again for my new '08 Screw.

I travel extensively for work and they have never let me down. Because they are one of the best "rain tires", they are also very good in the wet, slushy conditions we get in North-central Ontario (wet snow off of the Great Lakes) and have also proven very capable in the colder snow conditions such as in Timmins.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have another great solution for you. Firestone Destination A/T. Great tire!

I have had the Bridgestone Revo and it is also great tire all around.

In comparison of the two, the Destination is just as good gripping and wears better despite the rating. (And cost less) Also, it is quieter than the Revo when it wears down and stops better on snow and icy conditions.

Pick up this month's Consumer Reports and you will see this too...

Here is a link that shows how the people driving rate the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

I hope this helped.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac01
I have another great solution for you. Firestone Destination A/T. Great tire!

I have had the Bridgestone Revo and it is also great tire all around.

In comparison of the two, the Destination is just as good gripping and wears better despite the rating. (And cost less) Also, it is quieter than the Revo when it wears down and stops better on snow and icy conditions.

Pick up this month's Consumer Reports and you will see this too...

Here is a link that shows how the people driving rate the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

I hope this helped.
My Goodyear Silent Armor's are fourth on that list (not too bad). They came on the truck and they did do very well last winter. When they wear out I will give the Destinations a look.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I just had a look at the Firestone Destination A/T and they look really nice. They have a decent tread design that doesn't look like it would howl too much but still get great traction. The price isn't too bad either. Now I want to wear my Goodyears out faster so I can get these and go with the 285/70/17 over the stock 265/70/17's I have now.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I'm looking for some new tires before hits myself the OEM's have 42k on them and still have a bit of tread left but are worthless in the rain. I been to a few tires stores and so far the best deal is at Firestone Autocare center in my area. I have a 4x2 and out of the tires that fit the truck the guy said to go with the destanation LE or the Bridgestone AT Revo he said the revo would be his choice for grip. He told me not to get the Destanation AT unless I do alot of off roading due to road noise from them.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 PM
From personal experience athou it varies with each person, i found that the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires are bets, for off-road, musd and snow applications as for Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's i found them to be weak in the mud dept, so if you are expecting quite a bit of mud after the snow and during the snow in the off-road dept then BFG, the Nitto's Terra Grappler is a great tire for the pure off road dept and little on road but expect tire wear to be fast. As for your stock tire/rim size look at your door code sticker and it will tell you. If you do some towing with your rig, recommend C or D range tire.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Based on my expreince traveling due to my job all over the US. I have found that BFG All Terrain T/A KO are great for mud/snow applications on and off the road. As for the Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's they are great for mud/snow applications on the road but when your off the road expect it to be weak and the Nitto's Terra Grappler are great for off-road applications of any kind, on the road they are good to but expect them to have alot of road noise and high wear. If you do somw hauling or towing then recommend C or D range tires. Your stock tire and rim sizes are identified on your Manufacture Sticker on the Driver side door (pillar if super or crew cab).

Quick Reply: Need new tires before the snow flies