TPMS Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update.. After 10 days of fighting with 2 dealers and Ford Customer Service that I should have been provided a tool at delivery, I threw in the towel and broke down and bought 2 of the TPMS retraining transmitters.

For those interested Ford f150 2007-2008 TPMS reset tool part # 8C2Z1A203A List $18.92. Fleet price $15.14 this is a lot cheaper than ebay..

FYI ... Mine worked exactly has indicated in owners manual with one exception.. My message center never displayed "Retrain LF" . Only "Door Ajar" maybe if I had closed door it would have. After retaining was complete my TPMS light went out...

I also found out most tire centers including walmart charge extra to reset TPMS.. so I'd advise investing in the tool if you don't have one.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just 2 quick questions for whoever knows:
1) TPMS bands for larger wheels, like the 23" Saleen rims, I assume these bands are nothing more than large worm gear clamps, if so, I assume any plumbing supply house may carry larger clamps like this or order them?
2) Also on the TPMS sensors them selves, it appears you need two left and two right, all the ones I see on ebay show stock F-150 tpms sensors fits 17"-20" but nothing for 23" will these work on the 23"?

PLMK

Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is the bands that need to fit the wheel, not the sensor. If the band fits, the sensor will fit.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kingfish51
It is the bands that need to fit the wheel, not the sensor. If the band fits, the sensor will fit.
I hear what ya saying but all of the listings on ebay list f150 tpms sensors fitting 17"- 22" rims I am aware of the band issue, I just don't want to buy an set only to find out after their mounted and on the truck w/my saleen 23" that my light wont go off because the sensors are incorrect...

Such as this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...spagenameZWDVW

And this one too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 12-21-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Go to a hardware store and look for bands. Look for ones that are big enough to fit around a water heater. If all else fails, daisy chain a couple of flex ties.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by BayouSupercrew
Just 2 quick questions for whoever knows:
1) TPMS bands for larger wheels, like the 23" Saleen rims, I assume these bands are nothing more than large worm gear clamps, if so, I assume any plumbing supply house may carry larger clamps like this or order them?
2) Also on the TPMS sensors them selves, it appears you need two left and two right, all the ones I see on ebay show stock F-150 tpms sensors fits 17"-20" but nothing for 23" will these work on the 23"?

PLMK
When I make my purchase I will be buying my bands and sensors from Saleen.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
When I make my purchase I will be buying my bands and sensors from Saleen.
Was on the phone with them Tuesday after trying to call like 8 times to get thru, bands are $40 EACH and he did'nt lead me to think they had the sensors, he said just to reuse stockers so I am getting a set of takeoffs off ebay and a set of bands their too. Down to lugs (saleen wants $3 each) and mount/balance but I suspect my tire guy will be down for the duration until 09 and he is the only one I know who uses a road force balance machine.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM
UPDATE:

1) bought 4 take off TPMS sensors off eBay ($80)
2) bought 4 larger than 22" TPMS bands off eBay ($65 total)
3) bought Ford TPMS reset tool off of eBay ($15)
4) buy 4 TPMS cradles off the internet ($7 ea)

Update: still have not mounted, the saga continues....:O

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 01-27-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 PM
MDK
So the current TPMS bands on my 08 can fit up to 20" rims? I'm looking at getting the v-drives from discount tire but they don't offer the TPMS option and told me to call them. I figure it might be cheaper to swap them from the current tires to the new ones as opposed to spending $300 for new ones. Any ideas?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 AM
The original bands on your o/e rims are not reusable, they are put on like pallet bands, they are crimped on, the only way to get your sensors off is to cut them, once you do that you have to toss them. Depending on how big of rims you go with you have a few options: sellers on ebay sell just the bands, around $40-75 for the set of four. Larger wheel and tires shop in your town may sell the bands too, just call around. If you call Ford they sell some with the cradles but they don't fit really big rims and they are more expensive.

IMHO, this system is more trouble than its worth, I see why a lot of guys just do without and live with the light on....

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
MDK
Yeah TPMS is garbage so far but it did tell my wife she had a flat, I could have told you that but whatever. Roger that on the new bands and even though discount tire doesn't sell them on the site they said I can call and work something out.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Thumbs up

Real story...
2007 F150 Lariat, Super Crew, 4x4, Extended Bed

Put a 4" level kit on the truck last month.
Went out and bought some 22" KMC Brodie's and put 305 45R 22 Pirelli Scorpions on them.
Noticed the flat tire idiot light on the dash was on.
Did some research and found out I had TPMS on my truck, obviously the light was on, but in all honesty didn't even know and thought it was an option for that year.
From TireRack.com I bought the Hella TC-400 kit with an extra sensor for the spare tire. Installed, working and good to go.
Went to Ford and ask them to disable the factory TPMS system on the truck. They said HELL NO, but we'll sell you new sensors and crap for the new tires. Obviously I said stick it and left.
Did some reading here about the air pipe thing. Used one of my sons spare tires from his 4-wheeler and mounted all 4 sensors in it with safety wire.
Put my truck into program mode for TPMS.
Wouldn't pick up the sensors.
Did some more research and found that I needed the reset tool thing or get the 4-wheeler tire up to 20 mph.
Put my sons 50cc 4-wheeler on jack stands and put a pole through the rim with the sensors and touched it to his drive tires as he revved it up.
Left front picked up. Hummm I thought this could work, next thing I know RF, RR and LR all picked up.
Put the tire in the back of my truck and tied it down with a bungee cord.
Been a week now and no low tire pressure idiot light and I still use aftermarket TPMS with the Hella.

Done. Can't say why it works, or if you tried it and it doesn't work on yours, just that it works fine for me.

I appreciate all the help that is given here and that this site even exists. I have used it many times in the past and probably will in the future for help and tips. Sorry to resurrect such an old post and I don't want to start anything here. Just letting you guys/gals know what worked for me and how I went about it.

That's about it. Peace!

Ohh PS sorry I didn't YouTube it. I'm not into that, but appreciate those that are.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Thumbs up

Update:

Drove about 45 miles one way this past weekend and tripped the "Low Tire Pressure" warning light about 25 miles into the trip. Parked my truck for about 3 hours while we went fishing and picnicking. When I started my truck back up the light was off. Didn't light back up at all on the way home. So I can honestly say it was the first time it went off since I put the tire in the back with the TPMS sensors in it

Old 05-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Those reset tools are for those that have different psi settings for front and rear tires. They will not reset for different sensors. Those have to be programmed, by the dealer.
Those $20.00 reset tools that are sold on eBay WILL reset different sensors. I have two sets of tires, summer and winter on their own set of (band) sensors and that tool will reset the computer to them when I change over. been there, done it.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by sam1947
Those $20.00 reset tools that are sold on eBay WILL reset different sensors. I have two sets of tires, summer and winter on their own set of (band) sensors and that tool will reset the computer to them when I change over. been there, done it.
This is correct

Quick Reply: TPMS Question?