TPMS Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Question?

Hello,

I have an 08 f150 with the tpms system on the factory 20's. I just bought some stock 17's with tpms sensors on them. Will I have to switch my sensors to the new wheels or can I just stick the the 17's on without switching anything, or is each truck different?

Thanks,
Evan

Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you use the sensors on the new wheels, you will have to take it to the dealer to get it reprogrammed for those sensors.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I believe that is correct.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
If you use the sensors on the new wheels, you will have to take it to the dealer to get it reprogrammed for those sensors.

Because of tire problems on new (3 day old) 08 f150, dealer changed out the wheels and tires from another 08 f150 but forgot to reset TPMS..

I read in Ford Owners manaul page 232 that special TPMS reset tool should have been provided in owners manual, as it was needed anytime tires were rotated or changed out with tires of different specs. I called dealer and he said there was no such tool he had ever heard of and then stated that all I should have to do is cycle the ignition 2 or more times.. Which btw didn't work.

Does any know for a fact if special reset card should have been provided or has Ford modified the system to not require.

Here's copy of 2008 F150 Owners Manual regarding TPMS ..
OWNERS MANUAL TPMS

Last edited by Scruge; 10-21-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
I just read the owners manual and noticed that also. Have to go to the dealer tomorrow, going to ask why I didn't get one and would like mine replaced. I let you all know what they say.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Your dealer is lying to you. To see what the reset tool looks like, go to ebay and type "ford reset tool" and search. I just did and there's 17 of them. These come in the package that Ford puts in the glove box or console with items like the owners manual, key fobs, plate screws, etc. Your contact at the dealer may no nothing about them, but the guy who removes all this stuff from the vehicles before they are put on the lot does. I'd bet he's selling them on ebay.

Another thing, you don't need to reset the sensors when rotating your tires, unless you have a vehicle requiring different tire pressures on the front or rear axles, which our F150's don't.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by svt2205
Your dealer is lying to you. To see what the reset tool looks like, go to ebay and type "ford reset tool" and search. I just did and there's 17 of them. These come in the package that Ford puts in the glove box or console with items like the owners manual, key fobs, plate screws, etc. Your contact at the dealer may no nothing about them, but the guy who removes all this stuff from the vehicles before they are put on the lot does. I'd bet he's selling them on ebay.

Another thing, you don't need to reset the sensors when rotating your tires, unless you have a vehicle requiring different tire pressures on the front or rear axles, which our F150's don't.
Those reset tools are for those that have different psi settings for front and rear tires. They will not reset for different sensors. Those have to be programmed, by the dealer.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Those reset tools are for those that have different psi settings for front and rear tires. They will not reset for different sensors. Those have to be programmed, by the dealer.
The tires and wheels were exactly the same as the originals but from another truck. I assume the sensors have unique ids that have to be registered with system.. Or else my system wouldn't be having trouble reading them and flashing an error.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Correct, each has it's own serial number.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Kignfish51 is correct. My cousins husband runs a Ford dealer in Mich., his service manager told me my truck did not come with one because only F150's w/gvrw pkgs and 250's and up have them because of different front-rear tire's and pressures. The owners manual is screwed up and says all trucks should have them, but it also says at the begining of the TPMS section "if equiped" when all 08' F150's have the system. Scrudge will need the computer reflashed to eliminate the light, not just use the reset button

Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 PM
You can use the reset tool and a relearning procedure to retrain the sensors yourself. I bought 1 off Ebay just in case I need it and a copy of the relearn procedure is in my glove box.

Sensor Training

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done in an
area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation,
cellular telephones, and remote transmitters.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position three times, ending in the
RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three
times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes
between each key cycle.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode
has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays
"TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE". Place the reset tool over the LF
tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the
tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the reset tool over the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the TPMS module does not recognize any one of the four tire
pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound
twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING
MODE INCOMPLETE". If this occurs, the entire procedure must be repeated
from Step 1.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once
and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE
COMPLETE

Old 10-25-2008, 05:39 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
FORD TPMS Tool & Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

The manufacturers of the Ford TPMS are Schrader Electronics, VDO and Lear. VDO and Lear manufactured the banded sensor whilst Schrader manufacture the valve stem TPMS. The Ford Model range utilising TPMS technology includes the following brands:

* Ford Crown Victoria, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450
* Five Hundred, Focus, Freestar, Fusion, Grand marquis, Mustang, Ranger, Sport Trac Taurus, Taurus X - TPMS
* Lincoln Aviator, Mark LT, MKX, MKZ, Navigator, Town Car - TPMS
* Mercury Grand Marquis, Mariner, Milan, Montego, Monterey, Mountaineer - TPMS
* Mazda 3, 5, 6, B-series pickup, CX-7, CX-9, MX-5 Miata, RX-8, Speed 6, Tribute - TPMS
* Volvo C30, C70, S40, S60, S80, V50, V70, XC70, XC90 - TPMS

TPMS or Tire Pressure Monitoring System is fitted to Ford cars to provide a warning of low pressure on any one of four or five tires on the vehicle (five if TPMS fitted in spare). A TPMS from one of three manufacturers is fitted as part of the valve assembly in all Ford cars according to the table shown below. The sensor measures the pressure and temperature in the tire and transmits this data along with the unique ID of the TPMS to the tire pressure monitor ECU/receiver. If the TPMS ID is logged with the SJB then it is compared with the placard pressure and if under pressure then a warning light is lit on the dash mounted display.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 AM
07 FX4 S-CREW

I bought aftermarket wheels and tires and didn't have the TPMS sensors on put on them...I left oem wheels/tires mounted to drive in spring/summer...

other than the little light on the dash flashing will this cause a problem or issue with my truck or throw a trouble code when trying to pass emissions???

If I want to put sensors on what do I need to do besides buy a set like I see on ebay (Ford oem sensors) and have them installed...
can discount tire install them or do I have to go to a Ford dealer???

Thanks

Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

FX4Cowboy,

You will need a Ford TPMS tool, available at fordtpms.com.

Intimidator317,

You will need:

315MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR
$288.00 for a quantity of 4

BAND14/26IN
$63.96 for a quantity of 4

BANDCRADLE
$39.92 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $391.88

These are all available from TireRack.com.

In addition, you will also need the Ford TPMS tool to set the new sensors to your truck's computer.

Quick Reply: TPMS Question?