Shaking between 60-70mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking between 60-70mph

ok here is the problem, I put some 305/65/18's on my 2007 F-150 and they had a bad problem shaking between 60-70 mph, so after getting a wheel alignment and 3 rotations and balances later still no change. So I had them put 285/65/18's on it and the same issue 2 roations and balances and another wheel alignment today and still nothing. I have had the rims checked out both times Btw. Any ideals?????

Old 10-03-2008, 03:48 AM
ive seen this problem before working at tire shops, couple suggestion, you might need to get hub centric rings in order for those rims to fit properly, another thing is sometimes they dont seal the tires properly, go back to where you had them installed and ask them to reseal properly. This means taking the tire off the rim, applying tire paste not lube when mounting the tire and inflating the tire to 90psi to let the tire expand and seal completely , then lowering the air pressure to what u want it at. Also dont let them do a dynamic balance, its not a true balance for as it only balances the inside of the wheel once you properly seal the tire a normal balance should be easy, also make sure that the mounting surface of the hub is clean and has no surface rust or oxidation. This should fix the problem, Its what ive done whenever i came across this problem, and ive never had a customer complain after. Just in case your wondering , i have over 7 years exp. in a tire shop, doing customs from your every day ricer to bmws and heavily modified off road trucks.

Last edited by Lord Helmut; 10-03-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Jordan...I've had this problem also for quite some time. Been to 10 plus shops and none of them did any good, fancy machines and all. I suggest finding someone who has been doing tire work for at least 20 yrs. even if the place looks like a dump and was built in the 50's. Thats where I found this little dude with a balancer that looked like it had seen its better days and he fixed my truck. Its definately the GUY behind the balancer that will take that shimmy out. Best of Luck and thanks for your service to our country.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys, I will take all advice, I am about to make a trip back to NC from TX around 4000 miles or so, i dont think that i can make that trip with the sterring wheel shaking like that. It is enough to make you want to run it off a cliff or just sell the dang thing.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Helmut
ive seen this problem before working at tire shops, couple suggestion, you might need to get hub centric rings in order for those rims to fit properly, another thing is sometimes they dont seal the tires properly, go back to where you had them installed and ask them to reseal properly. This means taking the tire off the rim, applying tire paste not lube when mounting the tire and inflating the tire to 90psi to let the tire expand and seal completely , then lowering the air pressure to what u want it at. Also dont let them do a dynamic balance, its not a true balance for as it only balances the inside of the wheel once you properly seal the tire a normal balance should be easy, also make sure that the mounting surface of the hub is clean and has no surface rust or oxidation. This should fix the problem, Its what ive done whenever i came across this problem, and ive never had a customer complain after. Just in case your wondering , i have over 7 years exp. in a tire shop, doing customs from your every day ricer to bmws and heavily modified off road trucks.
Everything he says here is true, found out the hard way with my truck. Mine turned out to be one of my BFG tires, when on the front it vibrates but things are ideal when I rotate it to the back. These trucks are very sesitive and I don't think tire tolerences are as tight as they used to be.

Last edited by Dog'em; 10-05-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 AM
also alot of times they just need to calibrate the balancers and not many poeple know how to do that

Quick Reply: Shaking between 60-70mph