SUV Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUV Tire Help

I know this is a little 'off model'. Please forgive me. I do not see too much happening on the Explorer Forums. You guys are much better.
My wife drives a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer with 59K miles. The OEM Goodyear Eagle LS lasted about 30K. I replaced them with Goodyear Trackers. This was a HUGE mistake. They ride like bricks and are somewhat loud. Almost 30K and they are almost worn out. Tire size is 245/70R16.
The SUV is all highways and city streets. I am looking for a smooth and quiet ride with decent wet weather traction. We get rain where I live, not snow or ice. We also see temps over 110 degrees during Summer. Finally, we only drive this about 10K per year. A 50K or 60K tire is fine.
I have shopped quite a bit. The best deals seem too be Costco. A set of Michelin Cross Terrains is on sale for about $605 'Out The Door'. A set of BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A is $515 'Out The Door'. This includes Mount, Balance, Stems, Road Hazard, Taxes, Etc.
I rotate the tires every 6K and I run 32 to 34 PSI, depending on load. I will have the front end aligned with the new tires.
Does anyone have any real good experience with either of these?
Is Michelin worth the extra $90?
Any bad experiences with Costco?
Are there any other brands in this price range you feel strongly about?
One dealer suggested going up to 255/70R16. There is more selection and a little lower price. My wife and I both like the looks of the 245. Would we even notice the slight increase to 255?
I believe the extra 10mm is only .4 inches in width.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Quick Reply: SUV Tire Help