..so a brake-and-tire shop quoted me $650 to change brakes.. ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know why some are jumping all over this person for saving some money on a brake job. $60 for front pads isn't exactly cheap, and as far as "genuine Ford pads", i think a majority on this board(including me) can testify to the excessive dust they put off.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by FireFighteR6
I dont know why some are jumping all over this person for saving some money on a brake job. $60 for front pads isn't exactly cheap, and as far as "genuine Ford pads", i think a majority on this board(including me) can testify to the excessive dust they put off.
I'm with you on that. I get much more satisfaction and actually learn a thing or two when I DIY. No point in getting bent over by the stealer when you are a competent person. It's not rocket science, how it came apart is how it goes back.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by rcorum01
I'll be your friend..............lol
Awwww! Yay! See, I've a friend.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah the dealership was gonna charge me about a grand for pads and rotors....I was like F!@# that...So I did it myself for a little over 500 and got powerslot rotors and Hawk pads...They work great now!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Only problem I see with the job is slapping pads in a caliper isn't a proper brake job. It's very half assed and will only lead to problems and/or failure in the future. Caliper contact surfaces need to be lubed for a reason. Even brand new pads can squeal if the caliper and pad is dry. In addition to that using brake parts cleaner on all the internal hardware of the caliper and putting on new anti seize is a very good idea too. Calipers need to be able to slide back and forth and with all that old grime and grease it could very well stick on you. And while you're doing all that it's not that hard to pop the rotors off and have your local auto parts store or brake shop turn them on a lathe and get the old brake glaze off them for $10 per rotor or so. I commend you for doing the job yourself, and wish more people would it's not that hard. But do try to do it correctly if you want a trouble free experience. There's alot more to the inner workings of brakes than just a new set of pads.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
525 at goodyear for doing a basic brake job. I need to open my own garage.

Quick Reply: ..so a brake-and-tire shop quoted me $650 to change brakes.. ;)