..so a brake-and-tire shop quoted me $650 to change brakes.. ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..so a brake-and-tire shop quoted me $650 to change brakes.. ;)

So I went to a parts place and bought myself a set for $60 or so, then to Walmart to buy the tools -- tools were pricey, a little more than the brakes, but I guess I could return some of them when I clean them up -- and changed my front brakes in about forty minutes.

Now, a different shop (and this one, too) did suggest changing brake fluid; that I didn't do. The one other place said would do it for $100. Meh. But I've no friends who'd sit there and push the brake pedal while I bleed the brakes, so I might just have to pay them.

Or make friends?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Suspended
There is a tool called a vacuum tester/brake bleeding kit. It let's you bleed the brakes by yourself. Check it out. You could also gravity bleed them but that takes awhile.

http://groups.msn.com/AutoTechsOnlin...Message=117592

Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Thank you. This'll save me about fifty dollars... I bet I can do it quickly, too; doesn't seem like a time-consuming job. And not have my truck tied up for 2 hours at the shop.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you resurface the rotors?

Clean/pack the wheel bearings (if applicable)?

Clean/lube the caliper slides and brackets?

Torque all the hardware to spec?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 AM
I didn't. I'll do it next brake change, or just get new rotors. There's cool-looking, grooved rotors sold in a shop near Los Angeles for a hundred dollars a pair, delivered.My rotors look way rusty anyway; I don't think I got new ones? Or maybe I did once.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Changing the fluid is a waste of time in my opinion. As far as the brakes themselves go, any place other than the friction surface, the pad contacts something should be lubed with anti-seize for example. Caliper brackets get torqued and use blue threadlock on the threads of the bracket (if it applies to you). Anti-seize works good on caliper bolts. Sounds good anyways, too many people con others into pricey brake jobs, or they neglect to tell them the rears are good, fronts MAY need replacing.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy a set of speed bleeders(or one person bleeders) they have a small ball in it that you just unscrew one at a time and pump that brake and it lets fluid out but does not let air in.

so you can do it your self.

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
You may want to plan carefully where you invest your money. If you buy the cheapest aftermarket pads they will leave that black brake dust crud all over your wheels. You see that often even on expensive sports cars. I went that way the first time I replaced them and the crud nearly ruined my nice 17" rims. So I switched back to genuine Ford pads and they work much better. No dust. More expensive but worth it. Also if you plan on always doing your brakes go ahead and buy good tools. A good tool is worth the extra money and it will pay for itself quickly. A mighty vac or similar vacume system will allow you to bleed them yourself. Soon you'll have all the tools you need and you'll really be saving money. You do need to be careful about the little things, like checking your rotors, checking you bearings and lubing as necessary and especially making sure everything is properly done and torqued to spec. I wouldn't pay $650 for brake work either, but if they use all genuine parts, it may be worth it.
It's easy to pop in some new pads but if you aren't thorough it will bite you hard in the long run. I've got about 200k miles on mine and I'm about to do a major rebuilt. I don't think I need to buy any tools so it won't cost me much and I like the feel of good brakes.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:21 PM
You put out the phrase "genuine Ford parts" like a fetish or a talisman, like it's the end of discussion. I put on sixty-dollar Raybestos brakes from a parts store. Not the cheapest, not the priciest. They stop the truck pretty well.

You're saying "if it's genuine parts, $650 is worth it." For what? The logo's not stopping my truck. Besides, the issue isn't about the parts, let's say good brakes may cost up to a hundred dollars and not sixty. What's the balance of that $650 for? For putting on new brakes for half an hour?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Suspended
^^^Gettin' a little feisty are we?

If ya don't like the answers, quit asking the questions...

Old 10-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Suspended
A $650 brake job should involve much more than just pads, and quality ones at that.

If they are charging $650 for just pads, im in the wrong business.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just paid $525 at Goodyear for the following:

- 4 new sets of ceramic pads
- Flush and replace brake fluid
- Turn all 4 rotors

Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Well I disagree with your characterization about what I said. I simply stated my experience and opinion. I've found genuine parts better for whatever vehicle you have especially Japanese and European cars. But you're right, any dumbass can drop some brake pads in a caliper. It takes about as much skill as getting your finger caught in a mouse trap. I once asked my girlfriend why she spends $125 to get her hair done when I get my cut at Supercuts for $12. She said "I wouldn't understand." "I said your probably right!" I don't guess it matters who does your brakes, after they're just brakes. I'd definitely go with the mighty vac though, somehow I get the impression making friends to help you bleed them may not work for you.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Wink

Ha! Reading this post ^^ just made my morning!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I'll be your friend..............lol

Quick Reply: ..so a brake-and-tire shop quoted me $650 to change brakes.. ;)