2006 Lincoln Mark brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lincoln Mark brake questions

I started to change the pads and have the rotors turned and in the process found out this can't be done the ole traditional shade tree mechanic way or so I am told.

If it can be done, can someone enlighten me? I got as far as the big honking nut that holds the rotor on... bought an 1 3/8 socket, which was a tad too small and gave up.

Replaced the pads and elimenated 90% of the shuder. However, I am pretty sure it will be back fairly soon since I didn't have the rotos turned.

I am told the rotors need to be turned on the truck and that even if I got the rotor off, most shops don't have a lathe that can turn them.

Input please... thanks.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been thru this same thing, these 04 and up rotors must be turned on the vechicle. I checked about 3 places and 2 dealerships and got the same answer. Even if you do turn them, thats less steel which will warp faster. If their not causing any issues, such as warpage, or brg noise, i'd leave them alone. BTW, that big nut uses a 1 7/16" socket,(closest one i could find) of which i had to buy one, i was suprised it wasn't metric.(?) The nut measured 1.410" w/calipers across the flats, and 1 7/16" is 1.437, 6 point would work a little better, but i only found a 12 point socket. The torque to re-install is around 295 FT lbs. rossford....

Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The rotors have to be resurfaced on the truck, the nut is 36mm, and it has to be replaced once it's removed.

Quick Reply: 2006 Lincoln Mark brake questions