Front brake shake, hub not rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brake shake, hub not rotor?

I have a 2002 4wd. I'm getting a lot of shaking when I brake. I've already replaced the pads and rotors and the shake is still there.

I put a dial gauge on the front rotors while bolted to the hubs. The LF is ~.004" of total run-out, the RF is .012" of total run-out. I think the spec is up to .005" so the RF is out. I changed the rotor to another new rotor and got the same reading. So I also tried to figure out if the variation is from the hub or from the rotor. By rotating the rotor to each of the 5 possible different positions on the hub and measuring each one, I think I've found that it is the hub that has at least .010" of the run-out. All of these are with the caliper off.

Basic testing confirms the RF is worse. I can easier turn the left front rotor with the caliper on. The RF moves a little, then sticks, then moves a little then sticks.

Has anyone else had this same issue and found that the hub was the problem and not the rotors?

I can get a new hub with bearing for ~$125. Does anyone know if you can replace just the bearings in the front hub? Or should I forget trying to replace the bearings and just get the hub?

I'm guessing that ~2 years ago I might have damaged the hub. At that time one of my front calipers froze and I had to replace the rotors (the first of several rotor replacements). Getting the front rotors off the 1st time was nearly impossible because they had corroded to the hub. Something I'm sure most other F150 owners are familiar with. To get them off at that time I had to beat the rotors pretty hard with a 2lb hammer. This may have damaged the hubs at that time.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Front brake shake, hub not rotor?