40s or 38s on 24s

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FL4X4
http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/18136.pdf
Look harder man. They make it

And the whole size of the side wall just comes down personal opinion. Aesthetics over functionality.
Sorry man, didn't catch it, but 24's still aren't a good choice

Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Right now, the truck you describe building sounds to me like the ultimate "BRO-mobile"
maybe thats the look hes going for? opinion or not thats a straight biased statement in my eyes

Its a little stereotypical saying that anyone who drives a truck is a moron unless they set it up to for off road use and nothing more.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but he should be able to make his truck look how ever he wants with out people telling him hes going to look like an idiot.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

maybe thats the look hes going for? opinion or not thats a straight biased statement in my eyes

Its a little stereotypical saying that anyone who drives a truck is a moron unless they set it up to for off road use and nothing more.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but he should be able to make his truck look how ever he wants with out people telling him hes going to look like an idiot.

You have to take msall's opinion with a grain of salt.... I realize everyone around here has a varying opinion on everything. I dont beleive toyos suck, I think 8-10" of lift runs just fine on IFS, so could 12" if your a pavement pounder with maybe some causal offroading. There is a limit with IFS as we all know and i would agree with everyone that 14" is going to be too big and unreliable over time. I hate the look of small rims with a huge tire, msall likes it. you know w/e, we all built our trucks for OURSELVES to suit our tastes. I built my truck to be a reliable daily drive (it has done that perfectly) I also built it to be a show truck and continue to do so (Its won awards all summer locally and out of town, big shows and small) I also wanted it to be reliable offroad, yes its been offroad plenty In the mudd, muck and trails and held up great (this was not my primary concern when building it, plus i hate cleaning it up )

To each his own, Right?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by FX4life
To each his own, Right?
Exactly, which is why i said "i have strong opinions, dont take offense." :thumpbsup:

I built my truck to be durable, to perform well offroad, and to work hard. My truck is far from a show truck. It is a daily driver, sees a ton of miles, long drives in all sorts of weather conditions, hunting trips every weekend for 5 months of the year, Tahoe trips with a loaded cab of friends, snow/ice, lots of mud, plus ranch work/firewood runs all summer...I dont need it to be pretty, flashy, or any of that. Just to be capable, work hard and have a crackin' stereo.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 AM

Imagine a lowered street truck with tiny rims and fat (a lot of sidewall) tires. It would look retard and out of place. 20's are fine as long as they have 37's or larger (35's are OK but that's pushing it), but anything bigger than 20's and you're beating the purpose of a lifted 4x4 truck. If you're gonna own a lifted 4x4 do it right and make it look the part because huge rims and low profile tires (22's and larger regardless of tire size) don't fit the part, sorry.

Also, I don't think anyone was saying that if you drive a truck and don't set it up for off road use then you're a moron, as there are plenty of trucks out there built and suited for doing lots of things other then off-roading. I think everyone was, more or less, saying that if you lift a 4x4 truck and put a wheel and tire package on it that would look more at home on a BMW M3 and basically lose any functionality (or in this case off-road worthiness) then you've defeated the purpose of owning, having and simply the look of a lifted truck to begin with.

You're right, in saying that he can make his truck look like whatever he wants, but if it looks stupid (which it will if he goes this route) there will be plenty of people telling him that his truck looks like a deformed inbred.

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 10-28-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 AM
I have pretty strong opinions on this, so dont take offense.

24s = stupid. Personally, i think anything bigger than 18s = stupid. I would have gotten 17s myself but i couldn't fit anything smaller than 18s due to the brake calipers on my 04.
18s in some 40" boggers is like trying to fit a 5er in a magnum..it's just wrong.

A 14" lift on a IFS suspension = stupid. 40"+ tires on IFS = stupid. Not practical, not very functional, your truck will be a slow, gas guzzling slug and wont even be that great offroad (stuff will break all the time, no power etc). Anything more than 8" of lift on these half ton trucks just isn't practical to me.
True. If he wants some boggers he needs a 3/4 truck.

Lastly, Toyo MTs = stupid. They are super expensive, super heavy, made of heavy compound and dont perform too well in mud, yet everybody has them. Why? Because they last forever on the pavement. Says a lot about how you use your lifted, tough looking truck.

Right now, the truck you describe building sounds to me like the ultimate "BRO-mobile"
Yeah, Toyo's are car tires IMO, if you want anything bigger then 38s just get some TSL Super Swamper Boggers... they're a great tire.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Suspended
you have the shortbed supercab and you plan on 14" of lift. arent you afraid of toppling over? i wouldn't do 22s or 24s unless your gonna fit some 40's or bigger. but your truck will break if you use your 4wd frequently i bet

Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dromlace
18s in some 40" boggers is like trying to fit a 5er in a magnum..it's just wrong.

True. If he wants some boggers he needs a 3/4 truck.

Yeah, Toyo's are car tires IMO, if you want anything bigger then 38s just get some TSL Super Swamper Boggers... they're a great tire.
He is going for the big rim look...i doubt his truck will see offroad use. Boggers will last 10k maybe on the street. Its the worst on-road tire you can buy.

And FYI...they dont even make boggers that fit 18s. Most boggers only fit 15s or 16s and are used solely for serious mud bogging rigs, not street queens.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Msall is my hero

Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM
He is going for the big rim look...i doubt his truck will see offroad use. Boggers will last 10k maybe on the street. Its the worst on-road tire you can buy.

And FYI...they dont even make boggers that fit 18s. Most boggers only fit 15s or 16s and are used solely for serious mud bogging rigs, not street queens.
hey they make them for 20's as well but thats in a 54" tire...

This is an EPIC FAIL

im sorry but 24's are horrid.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM
i agree trim

Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 PM
TOYO's FTW!!!

Big rims looks bitchin on big trucks, but it sounds like you need a F-250, and a Whole lotta money.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
oops

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 10-28-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Eff One Fifty
TOYO's FTW!!!

Big rims looks bitchin on big trucks, but it sounds like you need a F-250, and a Whole lotta money.
bull****

Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 PM

In my own opinion :

i wouldnt get anything bigger than 20's, unless you have anything bigger than 40's, but besides looks, tires are so expensive when you go that big, and to mention the rims.

and the toyo mt's are sweet and everything, but i prolly would not buy them again just b/c they are so expensive, there are tires that perform just as well, for much cheaper, but the toyo's do look sick

Quick Reply: 40s or 38s on 24s