40s or 38s on 24s

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krusedisc
^ that truck there looks like its only good for kissing boys in.
That's why I don't let my wife drive it alone anymore.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
....... When I see people with rides like that, I simply point and laugh.......
MT, you and I agree yet on something else! ha, ha! That's my thought exactly when I see them too...

Since this whole topic is based on 'opinion', I thought I'd just toss mine out there too!

And to the OP that mentioned that he wanted something that was "unique"??? Well, what's so unique about a wheel and tire combo that just about every guy under the age of 30 has on his truck!!

To me, all those big wheel/skinny sidewall makes the trucks look like covered wagons, or those swamp buggy things you see them run in Florida... Now, I enjoy watching the swamp buggy races and get a kick out of those rigs, but that's the impression I get when I see them on a 'truck'...

I read an article a couple of years ago in "4 Wheel and Off Road" where they compared the same truck with 22's and a set of off road tires and then ran a set with 16" wheels and the equal size height tires (I think they ended up being 35" tall tires in both cases??). Well, the consensus was that the 22's didn't perform as well off road and the ride as pretty 'bad' on the hwy.. As far as "looks" went, I think they said that it's all personal choice, but the author of the story liked the 16" wheels better for looks and ride, but acknowledged that the new trend is going for the big diameter wheels for the looks, so do whatever your priority is!

To each their own I say, and I do understand that it's a generation thing as far as popularity goes..... Take any one of the above trucks to a high school and you'll have the kids drooling all over them.... Take them to a tractor pull or rock crawling competition and you'll probably get laughed at by most of the folks...

That's not to say either style is right or wrong.... Just what the person ponying up the $$$ thinks and his priority is...

While I can appreciate the effort to 'individualize' your rig any way you want to, I don't necessarily have to like the style!

I'm from the days of "Hot Rods" that had M50x15 tires on Crager S/S 10" wide deep spokes on the back and some G70x15's up front with a 7" Crager on it (or some Torque Twisters). Some air shocks to jack up the rear end to clear the tires and Novas, Mustangs, Firebirds, Camaros was the 'in' cars to have these on.... Lifted trucks were always F250's with solid axles and leaf springs with steel 16.5x10 chrome spokes sporting a set of those "Monster Gumbo" type of tires... Adults of the time (like my DAD!) thought they were 'stupid' on both counts back then too... So, we all go thru it!!

Good luck on the 'unique' look!

Mitch

Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Man whoever keeps posting these pictures needs to be banned.

these trucks are stupid, pointless, parking lot crawlers.

Theres only 1 time ill ever run 20's and that would be if i went with 52" Michelins because they only fit 20's.

this is a waste of metal, and the gas that pushes them.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Man whoever keeps posting these pictures needs to be banned.

these trucks are stupid, pointless, parking lot crawlers.

Theres only 1 time ill ever run 20's and that would be if i went with 52" Michelins because they only fit 20's.

this is a waste of metal, and the gas that pushes them.
Well that's what I'm planning on upgrading to eventually and I didn't want to have to buy new rims again when I do it. SO that's why I went with 20's.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Take any one of the above trucks to a high school and you'll have the kids drooling all over them....
i would be like dayumm someone has money to spend and then laugh and be like what a waste. now my friend bought (dad bought it for him) a dodge ram 2500 southern comfort with a lift and 20's and 35's (sticker was over 65k) the day he got the truck he planned on ditching that set up for a set up to run 24's and 40's i laughed so hard at the kid. and he has a paintjob that was a silver to blue fade. i just could never take the truck seriously. the day i got stuck on the side of the rode ( i was being an idiot and slid into a ditch and couldnt get any traction) he drove by and laughed didnt want to get his "bro" truck to do any work. he didnt even have to touch grass. instead he pointed and laughed. i was so close to beaten his ***. he had no reason for that big of a truck except to be a *** and show off his parents were rich. he also put neons on his truck. so if your gonna put 24's and 38's or 40's go ahead and run neons as well to finish off the look.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 PM
MT, you and I agree yet on something else! ha, ha! That's my thought exactly when I see them too...

.... Take them to a tractor pull or rock crawling competition and you'll probably get laughed at by most of the folks...

Mitch

And if your at a crawl, and ALL they do is laugh, then they must liiiiiiike you !! They will butcher ya pretty bad, but all "in good fun".

But you had a good point about the highschool kids. This is definately becoming "cool" as I am seeing more and more lifted trucks riding around on itty bitty ruber bands, thumpin some "sweet" bass.

Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted by efuehrin
Well that's what I'm planning on upgrading to eventually and I didn't want to have to buy new rims again when I do it. SO that's why I went with 20's.

You plan to run 52" michlins ? Gunna go solid axle ? hack the fenders ? tube it out ? Like my buddy mike did on his little Yota ?

56" michelins are the only time 20" rims are acceptable ! (kidding):

Also, you plan to find axles strong enough for those tires.... but also in a 6 lug pattern ??

I am gunna guess your joking.....

Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM

I've got mad fabbing skillz!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
sweeeeeet !!!

then your golden ! just gunna need some JB weld and LOTS and LOTS of duct tape.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
sweeeeeet !!!

then your golden ! just gunna need some JB weld and LOTS and LOTS of duct tape.
dont get the silver **** either you got to go with camo... its the bestest.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And I hope a '...totally awesome set of tools dude...'

Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
dont get the silver **** either you got to go with camo... its the bestest.
Well it's a lot easier to kill deer with cammo duct tape than the regualar stuff.

That's all I use to repair holes in my hunting clothes.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 PM

And I hope a '...totally awesome set of tools dude...'
Sawzall, Impact, and a torch.

I figure that's all it'll take.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Well guy's I've to go now. I'm getting really excited about the 52's now! I'm gonna go put a bigger garage door on my garage again so it'll fit after I'm done.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Well guy's I've to go now. I'm getting really excited about the 52's now! I'm gonna go put a bigger garage door on my garage again so it'll fit after I'm done.
dork

Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Well it's a lot easier to kill deer with cammo duct tape than the regualar stuff.

That's all I use to repair holes in my hunting clothes.

I am afraid to ask how your killing deer.... and why you are taping them up ?? Don't want em yappin to the police ?? Are these "deer" the two leg kind ??

Sawzall, Impact, and a torch.

I figure that's all it'll take.
Can't forget the BFH (Big Fawkin Hammer)

And the classic "Damnit tool" its the tool you use to throw across the shop and yell "damn it" when ya fawk something up.

Quick Reply: 40s or 38s on 24s